CRANFORD - State and local officials took to social media Wednesday as the nation reeled from the news that a mob loyal to President Donald Trump had stormed the Capitol building in Washington in an effort to overturn the election results.

Cranford Mayor Kathleen Miller Prunty was among the officials who took to Twitter with her thoughts on the events.

"This is a mob of terrorists incited by Trump & enabled by spineless GOP," said Mayor Miller Prunty in a quote tweet of WaPost deputy editorial page editor/columnist Ruth Marcus' tweet, "This is what Trump wrought. He plotted it, he incited it, he fomented it, he is reveling in it."

Sign Up for Cranford Newsletter
Our newsletter delivers the local news that you can trust.

Gov. Phil Murphy tweeted on Wednesday that at the request of officials in Washington, he is sending state police, and on Thursday he announced that at the request of the US National Guard, he is authorizing the deployment of 500 members of the NJ National Guard to Washington, D.C. "to protect our democracy and facilitate the peaceful transition of power."

Assembly Republican Leader Jon Bramnick denounced the attempt at circumventing the electoral process.

“The events unfolding in Washington are an assault on our democracy,” Bramnick said in a Tweet. “Our process established by our constitution must be respected. The Courts have reviewed the objections to the election results, and they have been dismissed by both Judges who were republicans and democrats.”

In a joint statement, state Senate Republican Leader Tom Kean and Senate Majority Leader Loretta Weinberg called for an end to the violence.

“What we are witnessing in Washington is not how our democracy is supposed to function,” the legislators said. “The protestors who have breached the United States Capitol building illegally should go home immediately or face the full force of the law.”

The Washington Post was among news outlets to report that throngs of people had pushed past capitol police who attempted to block them from entering the building while legislators debated counting electoral college votes confirming President-elect Joseph Biden’s victory.

One person was shot and later died, the news report said. Authorities called in The National Guard and federal police for control, while the mayor of Washington imposed a rare evening curfew, the Associated Press reported.

TAPinto Westfield's Matt Kadosh contributed to this article.