DENVILLE, NJ - The Denville Township Schools recently announced their 2016 summer exploration program for interested students entering grades one through nine in the fall.
Some of the topics the summer exploration program has planned include LEGO Camp for grades one through five, Arts and Crafts for grades three through five, Cooking Club for grades six through nine, and fanfiction writing workshops for grades five through eight. In addition to the classes offered, CPR classes will also be available for ages 12-14.
Families who are interested in the Denville Schools summer exploration program can register online. To see more of the classes offered, view the entire schedule on the Denville Schools website.
During the recent Board of Education meeting, the group discussed the plans for unused snow days. Currently, the Denville district has not used any snow days. With five days built into the calendar in case of inclement weather, the Board of Education is looking at the following days to give back to the students as time off.
- If 0 of the 5 snow days are used: Schools will be closed on March 28, May 27, June 20, 21, 22.
- If 1 of the 5 snow days are used: Schools will be closed on March 28, June 20, 21, 22.
- If 2 of the 5 snow days are used: Schools will be closed on June 20, 21, 22.
- If 3 of the 5 snow days are used: Schools will be closed on June 21, 22.
- If 4 of the 5 snow days are used: Schools will be closed on June 22.
- If 5 of the 5 snow days are used: Schools will be open as scheduled.
Superintendent Steven Forte noted that the Valleyview Graduation ceremony would be impacted and that more information from Valleyview's Principal, Paul Iantosca, would follow for all eighth grade parents as soon as possible.
Beginning for the 2016-2017 school year, the Denville district will also be accepting applications for an accelerated program for non-resident students. The program will cost $12,000.00 for the entire year and will allow students to start high school on an advanced track.
According to a press release from the Denville district, the highlights of the program are high school geometry, Spanish and French I and II, High School honors Biology, STEM, Coding, Interscholastic Sports Programs, Extensive music program including a spring musical performance, after school club program and caring and professional staff.
In order to be accepted into the program, students must meeting the following eligibility requirements:
- Students must have a passing grade in Algebra 1
- Pass Geometry and Honors Biology entrance exam
- Have a recommendation letter from a current teacher
- Interview with the principal
Denville's Board of Education will meet for their next scheduled meeting on March 14, at 7:30 p.m. The meeting will take place in the Valleyview Middle School Library.