MOUNT OLIVE, NJ - Twelve people, including four police officers, were rushed to hospitals on Monday after becoming victims of carbon monoxide poisoning at a house in Flanders, according to a fire officials.
The incident took place at a house at 3 Fennimore Court, said Flanders Firefighter Doug Fenichel, a public relations specialist, in a statement. He said Roxbury firefighters were among a number of first responders to assist in the matter.
"Fire Chief Tyler Wargo said the fire company responded about 7:30 p.m. to reports of a carbon monoxide incident at the home with several people unconscious," said Fenichel in the statement. "Police and firefighters removed the victims from the home."
Two people were flown by helicopter to Jacobi Medical Center in New York City, Fenichel said. Jacobi has special equipment for treating carbon monoxide poisoning, he said. Others were taken by ambulance to Morristown Memorial Hospital and Saint Clare’s Hospital-Dover, Fenichel said.
Citing Wargo, Fenichel said firefighters found carbon monoxide levels of 1,600 parts per million. "The usual level is zero," he noted. The 4,500-square-foot, home was built in 2006 and sold for nearly $940,000, according to zillow.com.
The cause of the incident was being investigated and emergency units were still on the scene at 10:45 p.m. None of the victims' names were released.
Roxbury firefighters joined colleagues from Budd Lake Fire Company, emergency medical personnel from Stanhope-Netcong First Aid, Chester First Aid and Atlantic Ambulance and paramedics from Saint Clare's Hospital, Fenichel said. He said the incident is being probed by Mount Olive Police and the township Fire Marshal’s Office, the Morris County Prosecutor’s Office, the Morris County Sheriff’s Office and the Morris County Hazmat Unit.