TRENTON, NJ -- Gov. Phil Murphy at his COVID-19 press briefing Wed Apr 28 announced that he would sign an Executive Order allowing summer camps – both day camps and sleep away camps – to open for the upcoming season. The governor says he is pleased with the way COVID-19 numbers are trending downward, which enables things to open up as the summer approaches.
"Because of everything you are doing, we are pleased to take more steps in our reopening process," Murphy said. "We hope that this is the start of many announcements...We are doing this because we expect the downward trend to continue."
The governor also took pride in announcing that the state of New Jersey continues to be a nation-leading state in vaccinations. As of Wed Apr 28, a total of 6,834,212 vaccine doses have been administered. Now, 2,915,754 New Jerseyans are fully vaccinated.
"That's 62% to our goal of 4.7 million fully vaccinated individuals by June 30...but we still have 38% to go," Murphy said.
Among other states in the country, New Jersey ranks:
- 10th in total doses administered per 100,000 residents
- 8th in percent of all adults with at least one dose
- 8th in percent of fully vaccinated adult population
Long-Term Care Vaccine Update
CVS Pharmacy and Walgreens recently completed their last rounds of vaccination clinics in 1,193 long-term care facilities. The two pharmacy chains have administered 145,775 doses to residents and 127,643 doses to staff at long-term care facilities in the state.
"We continue to prioritize vaccination access for this group; 83% of seniors over age 65 have received at least their first shot," Murphy said. "Contact our senior hotline at 856-249-7007 to access reserved appointments."
Latest New Jersey COVID-19 Numbers
- 1,838 new positive PCR tests, which brings the total to 869,343 total PCR tests since the pandemic began
- 423 new positive antigen tests (rapid tests), increasing the total to 123,779 total antigen tests
- 1,768 patients in NJ hospitals with 375 patients in ICUs and 232 ventilators in use
- 214 live patients discharged, and 188 COVID-positive patients admitted
- 35 confirmed COVID-19 deaths, bringing the cumulative total of loss of life to 22,884 New Jerseyans
Your Voice, Your Shot video contest
The governor also announced the launch of the Your Voice, Your Shot
video contest that asks participants to share why they are getting vaccinated. The winning video will become a central part of the statewide COVID-19 public health information campaign. Learn more about the contest at http://covid19.nj.gov/YourVoice