DENVILLE, NJ -- Morris County residents should remain alert to a Social Security Scam, announced the Town of Morristown. Morristown officials advise individuals of the warning signs of a scam as follows:
- You get an unsolicited call from someone claiming to work for the Social Security Administration (SSA). Except in rare circumstances, you will not get a call from SSA unless you have already been in contact with the agency.
- The caller asks for your Social Security number — again, something an actual SSA employee would not do.
- A call or email threatens consequences, such as arrest, loss of benefits or suspension of your Social Security number, if you do not provide a payment or personal information.
If someone calls you, officials offer the following suggestions:
- Hang up if someone calls you out of the blue and claims to be from SSA.
- Be skeptical if a caller claims to be an “officer with the Inspector General of Social Security.” Scammers appropriate official-sounding and often actual government titles to make a ruse seem authentic.
- Create a "My Social Security" account online and check it on a monthly basis for signs of anything unusual, even if you have not yet started collecting benefits.
- Install a robocall-blocking app on your smartphone, or sign up for a robocall-blocking service from your mobile network provider.
- Don’t call a phone number left on your voice mail by a robo-caller. If you want to contact SSA, call the customer-service line at 800-772-1213.
- Don’t assume a call is legitimate because it appears to come from 800-772-1213. Scammers use “spoofing” technology to trick caller ID.
- Don’t give your Social Security number or other personal information to someone who contacts you by email. SSA never requests information that way.
- Don’t click links in purported SSA emails without checking them. Mouse over the link to reveal the actual destination address. The main part of the address should end with “.gov/” — including the forward slash. If there’s anything between .gov and the slash, it is fake.
Sign up for our FREE daily eNews.
Got a news tip? Email us at fnixon@TAPinto.net.
Market Your Business through TAPinto Denville!
TAPinto Denville will help you build your brand, improve your online presence and reach thousands of people in Denville and beyond. Packages include social media promotion, native content, clickable banner ads and D.I.Y. publication of events, press releases and more. Become a TAPinto Denville advertiser! Call (908) 279-0303, x224, or click here.
Celebrating Something Special? Showcase Your Wedding, Christening, Bar/Bat Mitzvah, Graduation, Reunion and MORE on TAPinto Milestones!