EAST BRUNSWICK, NJ - With school less than a week away for the East Brunswick Bears, the upcoming weekend is a last breath of summer. Sure, Labor Day is the following weekend, but, as all parents know, the beginning of the school year also signals the start of fall sports, travel seasons, dance and well, you name it. Weekends become a tangled web of games, practices and schedules that leave moms and dads feeling like taxi drivers.
As always, there are some great things happening around New Jersey this weekend, so head out and enjoy!
- Get that last swim in at Crystal Springs. Grownups, ride the new slide (you know that you have wanted to try it all summer!) On some sunny day in September, you'll be sorry that you didn't get that last lap of the lazy river in before our local water park closed for the (ugh!) winter.
- Don't forget the Bocce Tournament sponsored by the EBPL and held at the Bocce court next to the Senior Center at 1:00 on Saturday. This is a sport you could really grow to like.
- The Skyzone in the Seaview Square Mall is hosting, Jumpapalooza on August 28 from 8 p.m. until 11 p.m. For the price of admission, kids get a two-hour all access pass along with a DJ. Reservations are suggested since spots do fill up quickly.
- Chocolate lovers may want to do a date night at the Chocolate Bar on 140 Main Street in Manasquan. Fondue Night is August 28 from 3 p.m. until 8 p.m. Sample chocolate fondue on pretzels, cookies, strawberries and then some.
- The Convention Hall on the Asbury Park Boardwalk will be welcoming the Asbury Park Punk Rock Flea Market on August 29 from 11 a.m. until 5 p.m. Vendors will be selling records, clothes, jewelry and other memorabilia.
- Music lovers should head to the Jersey Shore Jazz and Blues Festival on the boardwalk in Long Branch. The event will be held rain or shine on August 29 from 12 p.m. until 9:45 p.m. In addition to the music, there will be food and craft vendors as well as children's activities.
- Motorcycle enthusiasts will want to check out the Harley Day and Summer Festival at Raceway Park in Englishtown on August 30 from 8 a.m. until 5 p.m. There will be a tatoo contest, a Harley swap meet and lots of vendors.
- The Manahawkin Flea Market's Food Truck Festival will be on August 29 at 657 East Bay Avenue in Manahawkin. Admission is free. Sample food from 15 gourmet food trucks and enjoy live music too.
- Want to get a jump on fall and beat the crowds? Heaven Hill Farm's corn maze is open from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Friday through Sunday at 451 Route 94 in Vernon Township. They have a railroad inspired corn maze along with farm animals, a pedal cart track and other fall fun.
Whether you hit the beach or check out one of the many fun activities going on around NJ, enjoy. The weekend weather is expected to be fabulous, so get outside!