EAST BRUNSWICK, NJ - People came to get a new start, to find their first job, or to begin a different career after retirement. The employers at the Middlesex County Job Fair were ready for them.
Organized by Assembly members Nancy Pinkin, Joe Danielson and Patrick Diegnan, State Senator Peter J. Barnes, the Middlesex County and Edison Chambers of Commerce, the Job Fair ran from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. at the East Brunswick Public Library on Monday. Thirty-six employers met nearly 200 prospective employees, grabbing some off-line face-time with each other.
Available jobs ranged from professional, licensed supervisory positions in business and social services to part-time, holiday-season starter jobs. Nancy J. Pinkin credited the job fair experience for expanding the opportunity for professional networking: "It's all about networking. We put our resources together and are doing it for free. People are doing everything online. Sometimes, people show up at an event. On paper, the employer may have said that a candidate was 'not quite what we were looking for,' but the face-to-face meeting made a difference and opened a door for that job-hunter."
Pinkin continued, saying, "This is an interesting job market. Young people are starting out. Some people have lost their jobs due to downsizing or restructuring. Some older people need to get back to work to supplement their retirement income."
Among the presenters at the event were also local resource groups that provide services to the unemployed or those without insurance or support. SRA was there to help enroll and explain Obamacare to those still without a health plan. Keep Middlesex Moving (represented by former East Brunswick Mayor Bill Neary) was there to offer transportation services and job interview support.
Here are some of the companies and jobs that were/are available:
- Robert Wood Johnson University Hospital - visit website for a variety of professional, skilled, or new jobs
- University Radiology Group - two locations in East Brunswick, offering skilled jobs for licensed professionals, clerical jobs, and other office work
- Coordinated Family Care - needs in-home certified caregivers, some managers
- Rutgers University - a variety of staff jobs on all campuses
- Silverline/Anderson Windows - jobs available in the Milltown location
- JFK Medical Center - nursing, medical/technical, clerical, housekeeping positions available
- Massachusetts Mutual Financial Group - needs entrepreneurs, self-motivated individuals
- Vector Security (Princeton) - outside sales representatives
- Bright Horizons - childcare, teachers, associate teachers
- Brook Health Care (Milltown) - needs caring individuals to offer homecare or to work in assisted living facilities and nursing homes
- Eden Autism - full and part-time support professionals, management, or "floater" positions working in a "wide range" of ways to help people
- FedEx - 150 job openings as drivers and package handlers, especially during the holiday season, excellent benefits, variety of schedules
- Orange Key Realty - offers training for those interested in learning how to sell real estate
- South Jersey Industries - needs supervisor and staff in customer service and quality assurance
- Massachusetts Mutual - several NJ locations, openings in financial advice and sales
- Geico - jobs in customer service, sales, marketing
- East Brunswick Public Library - part-time library processing clerk