MILLTOWN, NJ - The borough will host the Follow Me 5K on Saturday, May 19. The event is sponsored by the Milltown American Legion Post 25 and all of the proceeds from the race will go to benefit veterans' organizations. Race organizers and runners will be meeting in the American Legion parking lot on and in the Borough Park, beginning at 8 a.m. The race route is the same as the borough's July 4 Firecracker 5K.
The Milltown Police Department is warning borough residents about street closures and possible delays on Saturday morning via a Nixle advisory. Certain streets will be closed and parents taking children to their usual Saturday baseball and soccer games may be impacted.
The following street s will be closed:
- Violet Terrace and Main Street will be closed from 8 a.m. until 9:30 a.m.
- Side streets connected to JFK Drive will be coned off from around 8:15 a.m. until 9:30 a.m.
- JFK Drive and Lakewood Drive will be closed from around 8 a.m. until 9:30 a.m.
- Washington Avenue and JFK Drive will be closed from approximately 7:45 a.m. until 9:30 a.m.
- Kuhlthau Avenue at Dutch/Fresh Ponds Road will be shut from around 8:40 a.m. until 9:30 a.m.
- Side streets running along Kuhlthau Avenue will be coned off from 8:30 a.m. until 9:30 a.m.
Residents should expect periodic delays in the morning along South Main Street during the run as the flow of traffic will be stopped by the Milltown Police to allow the safe crossing of runners.
Parents heading to Gloria Bradford Park for baseball games are being asked to use Bruce Court to gain access to Violet Terrace and the park.
Saturday morning soccer players should use the side streets running along South Main Street to head to the Albert Avenue Park for soccer.
Runners interested in participating in tomorrow's Follow Me 5K can still register. Day of Race registrations will be accepted starting at 7 a.m. at Gloria Bradford (Borough) Park gazebo area that is near Milltown American Legion Post 25. The event includes a one mile walk or a 5K. The opening ceremony begins at 8 a.m.