EAST HANOVER, NJ - The East Hanover Recreation Department is offering residents the chance to be involved in a town-sponsored Bocce Ball League.
Also known as Bocci, Lawn Bowling, or Italian Bowling, Bocce Ball can be played with as few as 2 players, or 2 teams of 2, 3, or 4. It is believed that Bocce was originally played by ancient Egyptians, Romans, and Greeks, but the game is its present form was developed in Italy and brought to North America by Italian immigrants.
Bocce is played with a small ball (known as the "jack") and 8 larger balls. The jack acts as a target for the players to throw or roll to the larger balls to, trying to get as close as possible to the jack.
How to Play:
1. Start off by throwing the jack, the small ball that the teams will aim for when throwing the bocce balls.
2. Taking turns, each team member will throw or roll a bocce ball to try to get as close to the jack as possible. Keep going until all bocce balls are thrown.
3. To make it more difficult, players can also hit the jack or other bocce balls.
4. Once the bocce balls are all thrown, tally up the scores for that round by either giving points to the team that is closest to the jack, giving the team a point for every ball closer than the other team’s ball, or distributing points such as three points to the closest ball, two to the next, and then one for the third closest.
5. Keep playing until one team scores 21 points to win the game.
If you are interested in joining the league, call the East Hanover Recreation Department at 973-428-3095.