The Florham Park Public Schools Superintendent, Dr. Steven Caponegro, announced the launch of NextMark Teacher Training on Student Mental Health in the classroom for Florham Park educators to begin March 2020, becoming the first school district in Morris County to commit to this teacher training program.
The NextMark Teacher Training Program educates staff on how to recognize student mental health issues in the classroom and provides real life practical strategies to manage and shape student behaviors. The program focuses on five of the most common mental health issues educators face in the class including Anxiety Disorders, Attention Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD), Mood Disorders, Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD) and Oppositional Defiant Disorders (ODD).
• “I was incredibly excited and proud to find out from NextMark that Florham Park Schools was the 1st district in Morris County to contract with them to provide these trainings to our staff. This is a credit to our Board of Education, Administrative Team, Special Services Department, and staff who support on-going training on mental health and social emotional learning in the schools, since it is our job as educators to remain proactive and to always focus on the whole child.” – Dr. Steven Caponegro, Superintendent of Schools Florham Park Schools
• “This mental health training comes at an important time for the district and also supports one of the Board goals to develop the district’s Social-Emotional Learning initiative. A school district’s responsibility is to address academic need, but we must also focus on mental health and social-emotional learning.” - Dr. Steven Caponegro, Superintendent of Schools Florham Park Schools
• “This relationship with NextMark Teacher training will provide our entire faculty with the tools and mindsets they would need to serve all of our children, in particular, those that may be facing mental health challenges. The Florham Park Schools aims to serve all of our children in a kind, supportive, caring environment.” - Mrs. Jane Steffen Director of Special Services
- Left - Dr. Steven Caponegro, Superintendent of Schools
- Middle - Mr. Nicholas Ritrivi, Board President
- Right- Mrs. Jane Steffen, Director of Special Services