(NEW JERSEY) - Love good ol' Jersey Corn? Here are some tips to savor the natural flavor in the sweetest ways:
For the sweetest corn, eat it as soon as possible after it’s picked. The sugar turns to starch as it ages. Until then, keep it in the husk in the fridge.
Once you’re ready to enjoy your corn, remove the husk and silk, wash it and try one of these easy ideas:
1. Sprinkle raw kernels over salad to add sweet crunch.
2. Boil the ears, uncovered, for 2 minutes in a big pot of water. Drain and let stand 10 minutes before serving. Add a tablespoon of sugar to the water, if you like, but don’t add salt — that will toughen the kernels.
3. Pan roast freshly cut kernels in a skillet with a little oil over medium-high heat, stirring, until it just starts to brown — about 10 minutes.
4. Stir roasted or raw kernels into salsa.
5. Steam it in the microwave: Wrap ears in wax paper and cook on high until tender, about 4 minutes per ear.
6. Wrap in foil and grill over direct heat, turning occasionally, about 15 minutes.
Did you know? There is one piece of silk on an ear of corn for every kernel, according to the New Jersey Department of Agriculture. Learn more about corn at JerseyFresh.com.
TAPinto East Orange/Orange is an online newspaper serving East Orange and Orange as a part of a network of more than 80 franchised local news sites in NY, NJ, and FL. TAPinto recently won 3 of 5 excellence in local journalism awards by the Center for Cooperative Media in NJ. We are accredited by the NJ State Police, which is done through the New Jersey Press Association in which we are long-standing members. We take pride in providing the community with objective news, fact-finding reporting while featuring positive stories and awareness campaigns daily. Got a news tip or opinion? Interested in advertising? Looking to write a column or to provide freelance reporting? Email us at YourNews@tapinto.net. Sign up for our FREE daily eNews and follow us on Facebook.