EAST ORANGE, NJ - There is a Heat Advisory in Essex County from 2:45pm July 20 until Friday July 21 at 6pm due to temperatures in the upper 90s. Please take precautions to prevent heat stress for the elderly, children, people who work outside and pets.
The following cooling options are available in East Orange:
East Orange Public Library, 21 S. Arlington Avenue
Mon-Thurs 9am-8pm, Fri 10am-6pm, Sat 9:30am-1:30pm
East Orange Senior Center, 90 Halsted Street
New Splash Playground at Essex County's Watsessing Park in East Orange is another option to beat the heat this summer.
Rowley Park at North Arlington Avenue and William Street
Seven Days a Week from 10am-6pm
Watsessing Park at Glenwood Avenue and Dodd Street
Seven Days a Week from 10am-7pm
East Orange Public Pools
Elmwood and Haire Parks. Open swim hours vary. Pool passes are required. Please call the Recreation Department at 973-414-4141 for more information.
During this heat wave, experts recommend the following tips to avoid heat exhaustion or heat stroke:
• Stay indoors as much as possible and limit exposure to the sun.
• Turn on a fan or air conditioner.
• Stay on the lowest floor out of the sunshine if air conditioning is not available.
• Consider spending the warmest part of the day in public buildings such as libraries, movie theaters, shopping malls, and other community facilities.
• Circulating air can cool the body by increasing the perspiration rate of evaporation.
• Eat well-balanced, light, and regular meals. Avoid using salt tablets unless directed to do so by a physician.
• Drink plenty of water. Persons who have epilepsy or heart, kidney, or liver disease; are on fluid-restricted diets; or have a problem with fluid retention should consult a doctor before increasing liquid intake.
• Limit intake of alcoholic beverages.
• Dress in loose-fitting, lightweight, and light-colored clothes that cover as much skin as possible.
• Protect face and head by wearing a wide-brimmed hat.
• Check on family, friends, and neighbors who do not have air conditioning and who spend much of their time alone.
• Never leave children or pets alone in closed vehicles.
• Avoid strenuous work during the warmest part of the day. Use a buddy system when working in extreme heat, and take frequent breaks.