EAST ORANGE, NJ - In recognition of Autism Awareness Month, Jewish Vocational Service of MetroWest NJ (JVS) is celebrating its clients from the organization’s Career Discovery Program. The program trains individuals with Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD) to obtain competitive employment within the community and ultimately earn above minimum wage.
As of 2016, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) ranked New Jersey as one of the top states that is home to individuals with ASD. One in 41 NJ residents have been diagnosed.
On Tuesday, April 25 at 11 a.m 12:30 P.M., JVS clients from various counties in NJ will tell their stories and explain the obstacles that they’ve encountered when seeking employment. They’ll describe how JVS has helped them overcome these issues and will demonstrate the skills that they’ve built in JVS’ Workstation Center – a room that provides clients with hands-on experience in various industries.
One of these clients is Savon McDaniel, 19, of East Orange. Savon attends programs at JVS three days a week and is committed to improving his clerical skills. He began with a typing speed of 19 WPM and has now achieved 39 WPM with 97% accuracy. He’s very committed to his work, always stays on task and is a role model to other participants. Savon’s parents are willing to help him gain employment in any way possible and are extremely thankful for the counselors at JVS.
Career Discovery Program
· Trains individuals on the Autism Spectrum to obtain competitive employment opportunities within the community
· Provides person-centered training to identify each client’s skills and interests
· Clients engage in community-based activities such as field trips, job sampling, mentorships/internships
· JVS placement counselors educate employers on the benefits of hiring individuals who are on the Autism Spectrum
· A room where clients obtain hands-on job experience at workstations that prepare them for jobs in various industries
· Workstations allow individuals to complete tasks such as filing documents, stocking shelves, folding clothes, setting tables, filling condiment containers, etc.
· Thanks to these workstations, clients have been placed in jobs that include retail, hospitality, administrative, healthcare, technical/IT, manufacturing, etc.
Jewish Vocational Service of MetroWest NJ
7 Glenwood Avenue
East Orange, NJ