EAST ORANGE, NJ - THE "TOWN AT THE RIVER" included land extending from the Passaic River to the Orange Mountain. For one hundred and forty years, what is now East Orange continued to be a part of Newark and until 1780 was designated as "Newark Mountain”. Orange, including all the Oranges, was separated from Newark November 27, 1806.
Throughout the Revolution food was scarce. Sir Henry Clinton, in command of the British troops in New York, sent out several foraging expeditions, one in the winter of 1776-77 with 2,000 men divided into four groups. A party of Hessians encamped one night on the farm of Caleb Baldwin, on a lane extending north from Main Street, opposite a barn supposed to be empty. With demoralizing results, the soldiers discovered that under a covering of hay were barrels of whiskey which a Newark merchant had hidden there for safe keeping! For many years after that the lane, which afterwards became North Grove Street, was known as “Whiskey Lane”.
Orange was incorporated as a town January 26, 1860, and almost immediately began to separate into smaller units, probably because the idea of police, fire, and street departments was not receiving popular support. South Orange was set off January 26, 1861, Fairmount March 11, 1862, East Orange March 4, 1863, and West Orange, with which Fairmount was combined, March 14, 1863. Before the separation in 1863, the total indebtedness of Orange was $3,500, exclusive of Civil War soldiers’ bounties amounting to $32,000. One of the big problems of the Town Fathers was what to do with the Orange poor farm, a tract of thirty-three acres in East Orange, on South Orange Avenue. Later this property was developed as a residential neighborhood.
East Orange became a separate township on March 4, 1863, the first election being held in Timothy W. Mulford’s wheelwright shop on the south side of Main Street, between Walnut and Burnet Streets, April 16 1863. In that year $8,488 was raised by taxation, not including a special tax on the Ashland School District’s south. On May 21, 1861, the first contingent of forty men left Orange for camp on Staten Island, just five weeks after President Lincoln had issued his first call for troops.
Source: Copyright (c) 2011 City of East Orange. All rights reserved.
Little Known Facts About East Orange
East Orange resident, Community activist, teacher, life coach...Co-founder of Civic Cares Community Foundation
The opinions expressed herein are the writer's alone, and do not reflect the opinions of TAPinto.net or anyone who works for TAPinto.net. TAPinto.net is not responsible for the accuracy of any of the information supplied by the writer.