Dear Residents and Stakeholders:
In 2016, East Orange was at the forefront of statewide, national and global issues, often daring to be among the first - if not THE first - to take a stand on behalf of our working families and improved services for all residents.
As we reflect upon the past year, I am delighted to share some highlights of the phenomenal progress we've had in our great city:
Fight for $15
• In January 2016, East Orange became the first city in the State of New Jersey to approve a $15/hour minimum wage for its municipal employees through a collective bargaining agreement with CWA, which represents more than 400 employees.
• Once scandal-plagued from financial and administrative mismanagement, the transformation of the East Orange Water Commission has achieved considerable national recognition as a leader in municipal water management.
• East Orange City Council recently approved a $23.4M bond to make vast enhancements that will improve the quality of our water and the efficiency of our operations for generations to come.
• Received over $4.5M in federal grant funds to hire more police officers and firefighters to continue our declining crime rate, which has decreased by 21% this year.
• Nearly $400M in private capital investment, which represents new construction in every ward of our city. More development means we will be able to continue to keep our taxes stable.
Thank you to the East Orange City Council and our municipal employees for working with me to set the standard for urban excellence. On behalf of the City of East Orange, I wish you and your families a holiday season filled with love, peace and prosperity. As we begin the New Year, look forward to much more in 2017!
The opinions expressed herein are the writer's alone, and do not reflect the opinions of TAPinto.net or anyone who works for TAPinto.net. TAPinto.net is not responsible for the accuracy of any of the information supplied by the writer. Click here to submit a Letter to the Editor.