Government

Mayor's Message: November 2016

dbd6409833c7096237c9_e89e9b08-fb87-4724-9d5d-acc93ddb8593.jpg
dbd6409833c7096237c9_e89e9b08-fb87-4724-9d5d-acc93ddb8593.jpg

Dear Residents and Stakeholders:

As many of us begin to prepare for the upcoming holiday season, I cannot help but reflect on our blessings as a community and our collective efforts to take care of our neighbors in need. 

On October 26th East Orange held its first Hunger Summit and officially launched the city's new At-Risk After-school Food Service Program. 

Sign Up for E-News

The program, which provides free dinnertime meals to children ages 18 and under, makes East Orange the first municipality in New Jersey to formally streamline its summer food program into an after-school program. 

In doing so, we are able to access federal funds to cover the cost of every meal served and take advantage of critical funding for food programs that the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) says are among the most underutilized in the nation. 

Kudos to Osner Charles, Director of Recreation & Cultural Affairs, and Ravi Boze-Adams, who manages the city's food programs, for their diligent efforts in fulfilling the rigorous requirements needed to bring these services to East Orange.

East Orange receives USDA Champion Award!

I am also proud to announce that the USDA recognized East Orange with the "Hunger Champion Award" for the expansion of our Summer Food Service Program. We were the only city in North Jersey to receive such recognition this year. Through an aggressive marketing campaign, we served over 100,000 meals at 44 local partnering sites, including city and county parks, schools and summer camps. 

Of the seven cities operating summer food programs in Essex County, we fed the highest percentage of our children in need, reaching approximately 23% of the 9,550 young people who qualify. However, the remaining 77% means that we still have much work to do. 

You can help us by sharing information about our food programs with those who need it the most. Our goal is to make sure that no child is left hungry. 

To learn more, please call the Dept. of Recreation & Cultural Affairs at 973.414.4141 or email teameo@eastorange-nj.gov. 

TAP Into Another Town's News:

Sign Up for E-News

East Orange/Orange

Man Charged with Crashing Truck into East Orange Planned Parenthood Clinic

February 18, 2018

EAST ORANGE, NJ - Acting Essex County Prosecutor Robert D. Laurino and East Orange Public Safety Director Sheliah Coley announced Friday that Marckles Alcius, 31, with a last known address in Lowell, Massachusetts, has been charged with carrying out a truck attack on the Planned Parenthood East Orange Health Clinic on February 14, 2018, using a stolen bakery delivery truck.

Alcius has ...

Cheating Yourself Out of Money

Do you have a system in place for saving relevant receipts for your business? If not, you need to get one. One of the biggest mistakes entrepreneurs make is avoiding saving receipts in an organized manner, which forces them to end up not deducting what could be deducted. This can cause you to overstate your business income, and consequently, you’ll end up paying more taxes.

The best ...

Top Seven Bookkeeping Mistakes and How to Avoid Them

When you’re operating your own business, even small bookkeeping mistakes can end up being painful. What are the most common blunders? And how can you avoid them? In part one of this 7-part-series “Top Seven Bookkeeping Mistakes and How to Avoid Them” we look at the mistake number one, “Co-mingling Your Person and Business Finances.” 

Note:  Remember, ...

Signs That You Need Help to Break Out of Negativity

It is only natural to feel down from time to time, but if you seem to be locked in a cycle of negativity, it is time to seek help in order to become your best self and live your best life.

There are a number of signs to watch out for, including: 

Feeling Down or Blue All the Time

It is natural to have peaks and troughs of energy and mood, but if you feel down all the time, it could ...

Upcoming Events

Carousel_image_b07ca45d1f7f7b57e6e4_spring_football

Mon, February 19, 6:00 PM

Lincoln Avenue School Gymnasium , Orange

Football Lovers, the Season Is Not Over: Orange ...

Sports

Carousel_image_b07ca45d1f7f7b57e6e4_spring_football

Thu, February 22, 6:00 PM

Lincoln Avenue School Gymnasium , Orange

Football Lovers, the Season Is Not Over: Orange ...

Sports

Carousel_image_b07ca45d1f7f7b57e6e4_spring_football

Mon, February 26, 6:00 PM

Lincoln Avenue School Gymnasium , Orange

Football Lovers, the Season Is Not Over: Orange ...

Sports