Montclair, NJ - The Montclair Fund for Women recently awarded grants totaling $104,500 to eleven area nonprofit organizations.
Grants to organizations based in Montclair include:
Interfaith Hospitality Network: $10,000 to support the Home for Good Program, providing case management for families in transition to permanent housing.
Jazz House Kids: $10,000 to support ChiCa Power, jazz education workshops for girls.
Montclair Alumnae Chapter, Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Inc.: $5,000 to support the Betty Shabazz Delta Academy, providing academic enrichment in science, math and technology to middle school girls of color.
Partners for Women and Justice: $5,000 to support legislative and judicial advocacy surrounding domestic violence in New Jersey.
The Side Door at Union Congregational Church: $8,000 to support the Friday afterschool drop-in program for Montclair middle school students.
St. Mark’s United Methodist Church: $14,000 to support the Mark Freedom School, a new summer literacy program.
Succeed2gether: $12,500 to support the Summer Enrichment Program for K-8 students in the community.
Grants to other area groups include:
Independence: A Family of Services (Newark): $10,000 to support the Sankofa Literacy Program and general operating support for the East Orange Family Success Center.
New Jersey Citizen Action Education Fund, Inc. (Newark): $10,000 to support economic empowerment workshops in Montclair.
Volunteer Lawyers for Justice (Newark): $10,000 to support the Trafficking Victims Legal Assistance Program.
YWCA of Union County (Elizabeth): $10,000 to support legal advocacy for victims of domestic violence.
The Montclair Fund for Women, a private nonprofit foundation, is the successor of the former Young Women’s Christian Association (YWCA) of Montclair-North Essex. The YWCA was originally the Young Colored Women’s Christian Association, founded in 1912 by Alice Hooe Foster, the first black woman to graduate from Montclair High School. The YWCA provided support, encouragement, educational opportunities, recreation, and safe housing for many black women and girls from the early 20th century until 1953, when white women were invited to join. The YWCA continued to thrive, for over 50 years, in a new building on Glenridge Avenue in Montclair. When the YWCA closed in 2001 and sold the building, the Board used proceeds from the sale to establish the Montclair Fund for Women. The Fund began awarding grants in 2004 and, since that time, has awarded over $600,000 to causes benefitting women and girls of color.