One of my clients named Angela, had all the talent, skills, resourcefulness and potential for a promotion. She continued to go unnoticed while many of her colleagues with less contributions were being rewarded handsomely. She needed to find ways she could get noticed at work and onto the fast track to a promotion.
First, I had her ask herself these four questions:
- Am I gradually slipping into more and more obscure roles at work?
- Have my colleagues with the same experience and talent already moved up the ladder?
- Are my ideas and opinions looked upon as insignificant by my manager and team leaders?
- Am I ready to move into the spotlight?
When she realized most of her answers were yes she knew she had to learn how to increase her visibility.
She needed to begin by learning to promote herself. We are the salesperson for our own skills. Just as with a job interview, where we sell ourselves to a potential employer, the same is true for when we are ready for a promotion.
Together we came up with 10 ways to get noticed at work and get on the fast track to a promotion.
1. Dress professionally and appropriate to your position. Be well groomed and invest in your appearance.
2. Be on time to the job, for meetings and functions. Be there for important events.
3. Respect others and yourself. Treat others with respect. Greet people with pleasantries. Be helpful and supportive to new employees. Make friends in other departments. Give complements and tell others when they are doing a good job.
4. Share your knowledge. Go ahead and share it with your boss. Be prepared to share your skills.
5. Make your presence felt whenever possible. Do your research ahead of time. Ask good questions and be visible at meetings and important functions. Add value as well as hard work.
6. Find your niche by knowing your stuff and your worth. Be confident in what you know. What are you really good at? Become the expert in it.
7. Be a good communicator. Your body language, how you talk, and your conversations should all reflect your confidence. Speak up clearly. Be assertive.
8. Get know throughout the organization. Be someone others recognize for their friendliness, hard work and the value they add to the company.
9. Be a leader. Don’t be afraid to head up committees and projects.
10. Stay up to date with what is happening in the world. Know who the company competitors are and what they are doing. Do your market research. Join LinkedIn, start your own blog based on your profession, be on Twitter following your business. Be visible.
There are many ways to become more visible to your employer and get on the fast track to a promotion. It takes more than hard work and longevity. Angela began implementing many of these strategies and is on the way to getting that promotion she’s been eyeing.
If You Are Ready To Get Results Now Book a “2018 Fast Track Strategy” Call with me.
Let’s See How I Can Get You Results and FAST!
SCHEDULE A COMPLIMENTARY 2018 FAST TRACK STRATEGY CALL => ttp://bit.ly/2CrsJsP
Anna D. Banks, MAS, is a business coach, trainer, speaker and host of the Better Biz Better You Show (http//www.BetterBizBetterYouShow.net) podcast. Anna works mainly with women professionals and business owners who desire a bigger business and self-development. She facilitates workshops, seminars, training, and coaching to entrepreneurs, and owners of small and mid-sized business. In addition to her extensive training, business development and media experience, Anna is a John Maxwell Certified Coach and a Certified D.I.S.C. Behavioral Studies Trainer.
Like what you’ve read? Want more of the latest marketing and personal development best practices delivered straight to your inbox? Click here to subscribe to our monthly marketing and personal development newsletter and get a Special FREE Gift visit http://www.betterbizbetteryou.com
The opinions expressed herein are the writer's alone, and do not reflect the opinions of TAPinto.net or anyone who works for TAPinto.net. TAPinto.net is not responsible for the accuracy of any of the information supplied by the writer.