(EAST ORANGE/ORANGE, NJ) - Due to people being unemployed because of COVID-19, the NJ Department of Labor (NJDOL) system has been overwhelmed and unemployment is up by 1,000%. NJDOL has stated they are “receiving an unprecedented volume of new claims due to COVID-19 but are working hard to serve all citizens during this unprecedented public health emergency."
A neighbor who successfully applied but wishes to remain anonymous offered up tips, "try applying in the late hours of the night or in the very early hours of the morning, like 2 or 3 AM. Also, type some of your answers in a separate file just in case the system does not save your information, that way all you have to do is copy and paste and not rewrite everything."
The state sites below have all the latest information. Everyone is encouraged to stay informed by continuing to check the sites often for new updates.
- Visit nj.gov/labor to learn what programs are available for employers and employees and who qualifies?
- If you have an Unemployment Insurance related question or want to file, please also visit https://myunemployment.nj.gov/.
- If you have an Earned Sick Leave or Temporary Disability related question please also visit: https://myleavebenefits.nj.gov/.
- Also, please note the State of NJ has a portal for the Covid-19 response: https://covid19.nj.gov/.
- If your issue cannot be addressed with the information provided on those websites please an email to: email@example.com.
- To report employers who are not cooperating with the Governors Stay Home Executive Orders. Employees will need to call either 211 or go on this new website https://covid19.nj.gov/violation.
We hope everyone will be safe during this anxiety filled time. Economic relief is coming and do not allow stress to bring harm to you before it does; we all must work together to get past this pandemic by practicing social distancing. TAPinto East Orange/Orange is working hard and committed to providing you with the most helpful information during this time.
TAPinto East Orange/Orange is an online newspaper serving East Orange and Orange a part of a network of more than 80 franchised local news sites in NY, NJ, and FL. TAPinto recently won 3 of 5 excellence in local journalism awards by the Center for Cooperative Media in NJ. We are an accredited by the NJ State Police which is done through the New Jersey Press Association in which we are long-standing members of. We take pride in providing the community with objective news, fact finding reporting, while featuring positive stories and awareness campaigns daily.
Got a news tip or opinion? Interested in advertising? Looking to write a column or to provide freelance reporting? Email us at YourNews@tapinto.net.