EAST ORANGE, NJ - In anticipation of the hazardous blizzard conditions of Winter Storm Stella, the City of East Orange is asking for the cooperation of the entire community to help ensure safe passages on our roadways.
A blizzard warning from the National Weather Bureau is in effect from 2am Tuesday, March 14, 2017 until Tuesday afternoon with more light snow and gusty winds into Wednesday. Heavy snow, between 12-20 inches falling at a rate of two inches/hour, is anticipated with temperatures in the upper 20s to low 30s. Whiteout conditions are likely and motorists should exercise extreme caution. Residents are encouraged to refrain from travel unless in the case of an emergency.
Essex County Executive Joseph DiVincenzo, Jr. and Essex County Sheriff Armando Fontoura announced that Essex County's "Code Blue" procedures are in effect due to extreme cold weather and snow in the forecast. Conditions for a Code Blue are defined as when the temperature drops below 15 degrees for a 48-hour period or when the wind chill is below 0 degrees.
Shelter for East Orange residents in need will be provided by the Essex County LGBT RAIN Foundation located at 168 Park Street in East Orange. For more information, call 862.444.0582 or 732.707.7246.
Parking and Snow Removal
Starting at 6am Tuesday, all snow emergency parking rules are in effect. Motorists should adhere to all NO PARKING signs on all county and city roads. Garbage and Recycling operations will be cancelled Tuesday.
In addition, there will be EMERGENCY NO PARKING on Munn Avenue between Park Avenue and the City line with Newark, Arlington Avenue between Elmwood and Oraton Parkway, and Prospect Street between William and Dodd Street. South and North Munn, South and North Arlington, and Prospect Street to ensure timely clean-up.
The Department of Public Works will begin preemptive brining on emergency roadways this afternoon and into the evening rush hour. Pre-salt and plowing efforts will begin early Tuesday morning.
As the storm progresses, residents are asked NOT to shovel snow into the street. Residents and business owners are encouraged to remove snow from fire hydrants located in front of their residences or businesses. Plowing will begin when snow depths reach two inches and freezing temperatures indicate no melting.
NOTE: The only way to avoid additional snow removal is to wait until DPW work crews have completed their final clean-up of your road.
• Most streets will require three or four passes
• Some streets may require as few as two passes, or, as many as five passes
Essex County Public Works has designated workers to ensure that all county roadways are accessible for vehicular and pedestrian traffic.
The following East Orange streets are Essex County Roads:
• South Orange Ave
• Central Avenue
• Park Avenue
• North/South Grove St
• Sanford Street
The City of East Orange does not provide snow removal services to private property (residential or commercial).
Snow Emergencies and Safety Tips
For downed wires or power outages, call PSE&G at 1-800-436-PSEG. To report snow emergencies, call the Department of Public Works at 973-266-5330.
Tenants without heat or hot water may call the Department of Property Maintenance at 973-266-5320 for assistance.
• Park cars in private driveways or secure them on off-street lots.
• Share driveway space or garage with neighbors
• If you must venture out, car pool or use mass transit
• Equip vehicles with snow tires or chains
• Be aware of parking restrictions when road is snow covered
• Shovel around the perimeter of your property within 24 to 48 hours of the last snowfall
• Shovel snow onto your own property
• Shovel snow away from fire hydrants near your property
• DO NOT shovel snow into the street
• DO NOT park on the street, if possible
• DO NOT shovel snow on top of fire hydrants
• DO NOT shovel snow onto storm sewers
Important telephone numbers
• East Orange Public Works Department
◦ (973) 266-5330
• East Orange Police Department
◦ (973) 266-5000
• East Orange Fire Department
◦ (973) 266-5500
• East Orange Office of Emergency Management
◦ (973) 973-677-8924
◦ (800) 436-7734
• Emergency PSE&G
◦ (800) 880-7734
• East Orange Property Maintenance/No Heat Hotline
◦ (973) 266-5320
• New Jersey Transit
◦ (973) 275-5555
• Sewer & Water Emergency
◦ (973) 266-8869