NEW JERSEY — Residents are advised to quarantine if they're returning to New Jersey from 38 states or territories - a new high for that total since the state began issuing the list back in June.
Regardless of the mode of transportation - bus, airplane, train, car, etc. - travelers from the "hotspot" areas are recommended to get tested and observe a 14-day self-quarantine.
“As cases have increased within our own state, and we work to contain clusters, it is vital to ensure that we are taking all steps necessary to stop the further spread of COVID-19 from out of state,” said Gov. Phil Murphy as the list was updated Tuesday to include Michigan, Ohio and Virginia.
State health officials advise people entering the Garden State to fill out an electronic survey as part of efforts to mitigate spread of the respiratory illness. The survey can be found by texting “NJ Travel” to 898211, visiting covid19.nj.gov/njtravel, or scanning a QR code on posters at NJ airports.
Officials said areas considered “impacted states” for the virus have a positive COVID-19 test rate higher than 10 per 100,000 residents or have a 10 percent or higher positivity rate over a seven-day rolling average.
Individuals following voluntary self-quarantine should not leave their hotel or home unless they are attending to a medical matter, or need to acquire food or other essential items.
According to Gov. Phil Murphy, the advisory does not apply to individuals:
- Who passed through a designated state for a period of limited duration (i.e. less than 24 hours) through the course of travel.
- Who are passing through New Jersey on a layover for a period of limited duration (i.e. less than 24 hours) through the course of travel.
- Who are traveling to New Jersey for business matters that are exempted from the application of the travel advisory.
- Who are traveling to New Jersey and work in critical infrastructure fields, such as health care and federal, state and local law enforcement. Residents should consult with their employer regarding whether there is industry-specific guidance.
As of Tuesday, October 13, the list looks as follows:
- Alabama (added 6/24/20)
- Alaska (re-added 9/1/20)
- Arkansas (added 6/24/20)
- Colorado (added 9/29/20)
- Delaware (re-added 9/8/20)
- Florida (added 6/24/20)
- Georgia (added 6/30/20)
- Guam (added 8/25/20)
- Idaho (added 6/30/20)
- Illinois (added 7/28/20)
- Indiana (added 7/21/20)
- Iowa (added 6/30/20)
- Kansas (added 7/7/20)
- Kentucky (added 7/28/20)
- Louisiana (added 6/30/20)
- Michigan (re-added 10/13/20)
- Minnesota (re-added 9/22/20)
- Mississippi (added 6/30/20)
- Missouri (added 7/21/20)
- Montana (re-added 9/1/20)
- Nebraska (added 7/21/20)
- Nevada (re-added 9/22/20)
- New Mexico (re-added 10/6/20)
- North Carolina (added 6/24/20)
- North Dakota (added 7/21/20)
- Ohio (re-added 10/13/20)
- Oklahoma (added 7/7/20)
- Puerto Rico (re-added 9/15/20)
- Rhode Island (re-added 9/22/20)
- South Carolina (added 6/24/20)
- South Dakota (added 8/11/20)
- Tennessee (added 6/30/20)
- Texas (added 6/24/20)
- Utah (added 6/24/20)
- Virginia (re-added 10/13/20)
- West Virginia (added 9/8/20)
- Wisconsin (added 7/14/20)
- Wyoming (added 9/22/20)
Note: Arizona was removed 9/29/20. California, Hawaii, and Maryland were removed 9/15/20. The Virgin Islands were removed 9/8/20. Washington was removed 8/11/20. The District of Columbia was removed on 8/4/20.
TAPinto East Orange/Orange is an online newspaper serving East Orange and Orange as a part of a network of more than 80 franchised local news sites in NY, NJ, and FL. TAPinto recently won 3 of 5 excellence in local journalism awards by the Center for Cooperative Media in NJ. We are accredited by the NJ State Police, by way of the NJ Press Association in which we are long-standing members. We take pride in providing objective news, fact-finding reporting while featuring positive stories and awareness campaigns. If you want to submit content (press releases, events, etc.) for consideration, please do so by clicking the "submit content" tab at the right-hand corner of our homepage, and follow the instructions from there. Got a news tip? Interested in advertising? Looking to write a column or to provide freelance reporting? Email us at YourNews@tapinto.net. Sign up for our FREE daily eNews and follow us on Facebook.