The history of Messiah Baptist Church dates back to the spring of 1892. The first worshippers met in the Calvary Methodist Church building located on North Clinton and William Streets in East Orange, New Jersey. Reverend George Reed became the first pastor.

Reverend Edward B. Samuels followed Reverend Reed as pastor and the church worshipped in a building located at 523 Main Street. In October 1904, the church moved to its current location at 13 Oak Street in East Orange, New Jersey.

May of 2004, Messiah extended a call to the Reverend Dana P. Owens of Dayton, Ohio. Reverend Owens began as Pastor on June 20, 2004 and since then he has been leading Messiah.

Sign Up for E-News

The worship services have been enhanced with weekly Bible Studies, noon and evenings, and Sunday School for youth and adults. Under Reverend Owens pastorate Messiah welcomed its first female Assistant Pastor. 

FORMER PASTORS OF MESSIAH

Rev. George Reed   

Rev. J. M. Bryant

Rev. Edward B. Samuels

Rev. J. R. Thompson

Rev. H. M. Hutching

Rev. N. R. Hale

Rev. Leroy Wynn (Interim)

Rev. G. B. Letsinger

Rev. Franklin

Rev. N. Spencer Glover

Rev. J. D. Brooks

Rev. Harry L. Batts