COME CLEAN FOR CANCER: PET WASH FUNDRAISER
- What: Pet Valu and the Animal Cancer Foundation are partnering up once again to combat cancer in dogs, cats and other pets. Over the weekend of May 20-21, all proceeds from Pet Valu’s dog wash stations will be donated to Animal Cancer Foundation. During last year’s event, a total of $35,000 was raised in just two short days.
- Where: Pet Valu stores nationwide
- When: All day Saturday, May 20 – Sunday, May 21
- Cost: $10 (100% donated to Animal Cancer Foundation)
PET VALU’S PURPOSE
“It’s not everyday we can celebrate dirty dogs for a good cause, and our Come Clean for Cancer fundraiser always brings out a ton of customer support,” said Joe Dent, vice president and U.S. general manager for Pet Valu. “As much as everyone loves a good, clean dog, there’s a lot more to be said for a clean bill of health and we are wholly committed to the incredible strides our friends at Animal Cancer Foundation are making everyday for pet health.”
A FEW FACTS ON CANCER IN DOGS
- Six million new cancer diagnoses in dogs are made each year. (–National Cancer Institute)
- Up to 60% of many pet breeds develop cancer in their lifetime. (–Animal Cancer Foundation)
- Dogs get cancer at roughly the same rate as humans. (–FETCH a Cure)
- The most common cancers in our pets – lymphoma, bone cancer, breast cancer, bladder tumors, leukemia, brain tumors and sarcomas – are also very common in people, particularly in children. (–Animal Cancer Foundation)
IN LOVING MEMORY
Animal Cancer Foundation spokes-dog Bocker, a Labradoodle diagnosed with lymphoma in December 2014, worked hard to raise awareness for the cause and funding for research. Sadly, he lost his battle with cancer but he’ll remain forever in our hearts.