SPOTSWOOD, NJ - The Spotswood 5K will kick off an action packed weekend in the Garden State. Runners may still register for the race that sets off at 8:30 a.m. on Saturday, September 12. The registration and package pick-up table opens at 7:30 a.m. Race-day registrants are welcome.
Saturday is a busy day in the borough with the Spotswood Soccer Club beginning their fall season at noon. The American Legion Riders Post No. 253 will be hosting their annual Poker Run and Pig Roast as well. Sign in begins at the DeVoe Avenue post at 9 a.m. and runs until 11 a.m. The festivities start rolling at noon and continue until 6 p.m. Sportin' Wood will be providing the music. There is a $20 donation to attend and all of the proceeds collected go to benefit veterans.
For residents that want to hit the road for some fun this weekend, there is a lot going on from fairs to flea markets.
- Treasure hunters will love Ocean Grove's annual Giant Flea Market on Saturday, September 12. There will be more than 400 vendors offering a mix of antiques, collectibles and new stuff against the backdrop of gorgeous Victorian homes and the Atlantic Ocean. The market is outdoors on the Ocean Pathway, which runs from the Great Auditorium to the boardwalk, from 9 a.m. until 4 p.m.
- Asbury Park is hosting an Oyster Festival that includes live music. It begins on Friday, September 11 at noon and will continue on September 12 and 13 from noon until 6 p.m. The festival will also have rides and craft vendors. Admission is free on Friday, but costs $3 for the rest of the weekend. Children 12 and under are free on any of the three days. Head to the old building that used to be home to the iconic Asbury Park carousel for all the food and fun.
- Love tacos? The NJ Taco Festival will be at the Sussex County Fairgrounds from 10 a.m. until 8 p.m. on Saturday, September 12. Admission is $10.
- The 11th annual Opa! Festival will run from Friday through Sunday at the Saint Anna Greek Orthodox Church in Flemington.
- Sayreville Day will take over Kennedy Park on Washington Road from 10 a.m. until 4 p.m. on Sunday, September 13. There will be rides, games, crafts and entertainment.
- Ride the rails at the Pine Creek Railroad in Allaire State Park on Saturday and Sunday from 11 a.m. until 4:30 p.m. Trains leave every half hour and a ride is $5.
- Grab a paddle for the 5th annual Paddle the Navesink Day. The event runs rain or shine on September 12 from noon until 4 p.m. Participants can meet at Maple Cove, which is at the bottom of Maple Avenue in Red Bank.
All of the proceeds of this year's Spotswood 5K go to help the Chargers' golf and softball teams procure new uniforms and equipment. Come out and run or support the participants as they tackle the scenic course.