EDISON, NJ -- The Eighth Grade Class of 2020 at The Wardlaw+Hartridge School in Edison completed its Middle School journey during a Virtual Stepping Up Ceremony on Wednesday, June 10.
Andrew Webster, Head of School, began his remarks with the announcement of Scholar awards to Joanne Ding of South Plainfield and Luke Tan of Edison and Achievement awards to Isabella Rovito of Scotch Plains and Hannah Yin of Scotch Plains. Mr. Webster also recognized the 13 lifers among this year's eighth grade graduates.
Anushka Dalal of Scotch Plains presented the Streib Cup to seventh-grader Shourya Chhabra of Edison. This award is given for the highest achievement in public speaking among sixth and seventh graders. Isabella Rovito of Scotch Plains, who won the eighth grade public speaking contest and the privilege to be the speaker at the Middle School Stepping Up Ceremony, delivered a wonderful speech about the bittersweet nature of graduation, especially during these uncertain times. She recounted the rapid passing of memorable middle school events and encouraged her peers to keep an open mind as they enter high school.
The presentation of awards followed:
- Lum Award (Best Female Athlete) – Kayla Martel of Winfield Park
- Elwell Award (Best Male Athlete) – Andrew Kojima of Edison
- Service Awards – Anushka Dalal of Scotch Plains, Vanessa Fang of Edison, Andrew Kojima of Edison, Shachee Kumar of Edison, Kayla Martel of Winfield Park, Gbemi Olarewaju of Piscataway, Diya Patel of Iselin, Isabella Rovito of Scotch Plains, Samia Silver of Rahway.
- Student Government Awards – Sarah Alves of Springfield, Anushka Dalal of Scotch Plains, Vanessa Fang of Edison, Kayla Martel of Winfield Park, Gbemi Olarewaju of Piscataway, Timothy Oligino of Westfield, Simrah Razvi of Somerset, Isabella Rovito of Scotch Plains, Samia Silver of Rahway, Luke Tan of Edison, Angelina Walker of South Plainfield, Hannah Yin of Scotch Plains.
- Alethea Marder Pond Award (Fine Arts) – Claire Lu of Edison
- Alethea Marder Pond Award (Performing Arts) – Joanne Ding, Luke Tan
- Chandler Award (Highest GPA)– Luke Tan
- Kilpatrick Award (Best All-Around) – Isabella Rovito
After Ian McElroy read the names of the graduates during the presentation of certificates, faculty and staff members offered congratulations and words of inspiration to the new Middle School graduates.
The Wardlaw+Hartridge School (1295 Inman Ave., N. Edison) is Central Jersey’s premier PreK-12 independent school. The campus is located near the Scotch Plains border and just five miles from downtown Westfield. It is a private, nonsectarian, coeducational day school that prepares students to lead and succeed in a world of global interconnection. Wardlaw+Hartridge provides an educational atmosphere characterized by academic challenge, support for individual excellence, diversity, and a familial sense of community.