ELIZABETH, NJ - A book bag and school supply giveaway will be held at six locations throughout the city today.
The 10th annual city-run event will be held from 4 to 6 p.m. and is available to Elizabeth residents only. The child must be present to receive school supplies.
The giveaway was created by Councilwoman-at-Large Patricia Perkins-Auguste about 12 years ago. She expanded it two years later after several people in the faith-based community reached out to her seeking school supplies, Perkins-Auguste said.
“The whole thing is that we’re one community and we care about our children,” Perkins-Auguste said. “And we continue that under the city’s umbrella for the 10th year.”
In previous years, 4,000 book bags have been given out, she added. Family-friendly speakers, DJs, face painting and light refreshments will be on hand at locations this year.
Mayor J. Christian Bollwage and the councilwoman will tour all six spots. Other city council members plan to be present at locations too.
“It’s a fun event and it’s highly structured to be geared towards education,” said Perkins-Auguste, later adding, “We’re down to the last two weeks of the summer, enjoy yourself. But school is important.”
The giveaways will be at the following locations:
1. Miller Evans Logan Recreation Center, 161-163 First Street
2. Fred Erxleben Recreation Center, 513-515 Richmond Street
3. Peterstown Community Center, 408 Palmer Street
4. Mickey Walker Recreation Center, 860 Anna Street
5. O'Donnell Dempsey Senior Center, 622 Salem Avenue
6. Elmora Racquet Club, 23 Fernwood Terrace