Elizabeth, NJ - A weather statement issued by The National Weather Service and the County of Union, calls for heavy snow and blizzard conditions for Tuesday with snow accumulations of 18 to 24 inches expected to fall in the area.
Snowfall Rates: 2 to 4 inches per hour early Tuesday morning into Tuesday afternoon.
Timing: Late Monday evening through Tuesday evening.
Impacts: Dangerous travel due to whiteout conditions at times.
Several Roads: May become impassable. Power outages possible.
Winds: Northeast 20 to 30 mph with gusts up to 40 mph on Tuesday.
Temperatures: In the mid 20s.
Visibilities: One quarter mile or less at times.
A Winter Storm Warning is in effect for Elizabeth beginning midnight Monday to midnight Tuesday. Accumulations from 12 to 18 inches are expected.
Reduced visibility, icy roads and significant snow may cause hazardous travel conditions.
Please stay off the roads. If you must travel, use caution, drive safely and keep an extra flashlight, food and water in your vehicle in case of an emergency.
If you live on a street, where there are signs posted for "no parking during snow emergency" - please cooperate and comply. If you have a driveway, use it.
Please do not throw snow into the street - we need to maintain open roadways for emergency vehicles. Throwing snow in the street will result in summons being issued.
GARBAGE & RECYCLING
There will be no garbage pickup on Tuesday, March 14, 2017. Garbage will resume as regularly scheduled on Thursday and Friday.
In addition, there will be no recycling pickup for cardboard and newspaper on Wednesday, March 15, 2017. Please refer to your Recycling/Garbage Brochure for the next scheduled pick-up.
In order to remove snow from the streets, the City will be offering FREE parking for Elizabeth residents beginning tonight at 6:00 p.m. until Wednesday, March 15, 2017 at 12:00 p.m. noon at the following parking decks:
· Lot #1, the J. Christian Bollwage Garage, located at 37 Caldwell Place
· Lot #5, the Midtown Garage, located at 30 West Grand Street
· And Lot #6, located at 28-56 Jefferson Ave (Dickinson St)
We ask residents to remove their cars from the roads, so our Public Works crew can safely and easily remove snow.
LOSS OF POWER OR EMERGENCIES
If you lose power, you should report an outage by calling 1-800-436-PSEG (7734).
In the event of an emergency please call 911.
The County of Union has called Code Blue for tonight, March 13, through Sunday, March 19.
The Department of Health and Human Services would like to share with you the collaborative response and actions for Code Blue.
1. If you encounter a person in need of shelter during Code Blue during the hours of 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Monday thru Friday the person should be directed to Union County Division of Social Services at 342 Westminster Ave Elizabeth 908-965-3706. The county will arrange for placement. The County intends to be open tomorrow 3/13/17.
2. If you encounter a person after 4 p.m. or on the weekend, the person should call Plainfield YMCA at 908-756-6061. The Plainfield YMCA serves in place of the Union County Division of Social Services during these hours and will determine where in the County shelter beds are available and will make the proper referral. If transportation is needed the County police will provide transportation. Walk ins are accepted.
The providers in Elizabeth are
Coalition To House The Homeless
The City of Elizabeth will open two Warming Stations and Emergency Shelters for displaced residents due to power outages. If you encounter a resident that has lost power due to the storm, please advise them to seek temporary shelter if needed at the following sites;
Peterstown Community Center
418 Palmer Street
Stephen Sampson Center
800 Anna Street
To Be Used for Over Flow Only If It becomes Necessary
Mickey Walker Center
800-860 Anna Street
City of Elizabeth employees will be on site. Residents can come get warm, have a lite snack, and stay overnight if necessary.
THESE SITES WILL ONLY OPEN IF THERE IS A POWER OUTAGE IN THE CITY. FOR MORE INFORMATION, CALL 908-820-4049.
All Senior and Recreation Centers will be closed on Tuesday, March 14, and all youth programs are cancelled.
Municipal Court will be closed tomorrow March 14, and will have a delayed opening of 10 a.m. on Wednesday, March 15
It has been announced that all Elizabeth Public Schools will be closed on Tuesday, March 14
All marine terminals in the Port of New York and New Jersey will be closed on Tuesday, March 14.