ELIZABETH, NJ – Two weekend fires, one of which sent a fire captain to the hospital, kept the Elizabeth Fire Department busy.
The first broke out late Friday night at 1054 William Street. Heavy smoke conditions and visible fire were reported. The County EMS team was called to the scene.
The second fire began in the basement of a duplex at 336 Williamson Street. According to the owner Rodolfo Rodriguez, the cause was a malfunctioning furnace. “The basement is done,” he said, referring to heavy damage. “Thank God, everybody is all right, too.”
Companies arrived on scene within two minutes of dispatch. Companies that responded- Engines 1,2 and 6, Ladders 3 and 1, Rescue 1, Battalion 1, Deputy 1, and RIC - E7.
An unidentified fire caption who was burned at the fire this morning was treated for non-life threatening burns and has been released this afternoon from St. Barnabas burn center.