ELIZABETH, NJ - The owner of the Jiordy Mini Market heard that someone had bought a winning Powerball ticket worth $50,000 at his store from another customer earlier today.
“I’m waiting for whoever got the ticket,” Kelvin Gomez said this afternoon as he stood behind the counter at the mini market at 461 Spring St.
One ticket sold in Massachusetts matched all numbers drawn yesterday, winning the $758.7 million Powerball jackpot. Two lottery tickets sold in the New Jersey matched five white balls to win $1 million.
Two tickets worth $200,000 were also sold in the state, along with 24 winning tickets worth $50,000. Gomez’s store was the only one in Union County to sell a winning ticket, matching four white balls and the Powerball.
Gomez has owned the store on the corner of Spring and Flora streets for about six years now, he said. Customers sometimes win small amounts with Pick-6, but he’s never sold a ticket worth $50,000 before.
“Most people who come, they live around here,” he said, suspecting that whoever won must live close by since most of his customers walk to the store for small items like bread and milk.
No one had validated the $50,000 ticket at the store yet, Gomez said, so he urged people to come in and scan their tickets. He was eager to meet the person who won so he could take a photograph with them too. (Gomez didn’t want to be photographed for this article because he didn’t want people to mistakenly think he was the winner.)
Gomez was hard-pressed to think of what he would do with $50,000, but he eventually thought of an answer.
“Maybe go to Dubai!” he exclaimed and let out a laugh.
The winning numbers for the drawing yesterday were 06, 07, 16, 23 and 26. The Red Power Ball number was 04. The Multiplier number was 04. If you won, you can find out how to claim your prize here.
Below is a list of stores in the state where the top winning tickets were sold:
Cumberland County ($1,000,000): L and K Petroleums, 3890 Route 47, Dorchester;
• Passaic County ($1,000,000): W & R Mini Market and Deli, 94 Nagle St., Paterson;
• Monmouth County ($200,000): Plaza Convenience & Deli, 2459 Highway 33,Neptune;
• Passaic County ($200,000): 7-Eleven #39776, 51 Willowbrook Blvd., Wayne;
• Atlantic County ($50,000): Smitty’s Liquor Store, 45 South New York Ave., Galloway;
• Bergen County ($50,000): Quench Wine & Spirits, 2450 Lemoine Ave., Fort Lee;
• Bergen County ($50,000): Township Stationery, 299A Pascack Rd., Washington Twp.;
• Burlington County ($50,000): WAWA #718, 720 South Church St., Mt. Laurel;
• Camden County ($50,000): Country Farm Convenience, 10 East Kings Hwy, Mt. Ephraim;
• Camden County ($50,000): WAWA #8311, 1824 Marlton Pike, Cherry Hill;
• Essex County ($50,000): Krauszers Liquor Locker, 645 Bloomfield Ave., Verona;
• Essex County ($50,000): Quick Mart Food Store, 172 South Livingston Ave., Livingston;
• Essex County ($50,000): Ralph’s Liquors, 65-67 Elizabeth Ave., Newark;
• Essex County ($50,000): Valero Fairfield, 650 Route 46 E., Fairfield;
• Hudson County ($50,000): Fiji 24 Hours Food Store, 2913 Bergenline Ave., Union City;
• Hudson County ($50,000): Quick Check #80, 400 Bergen St., Harrison;
• Hudson County ($50,000): Universal Liquors, 2117 Bergenline Ave., Union City;
• Hunterdon County ($50,000): TMF Mart LLC, 429 Route 513, Califon;
• Mercer County ($50,000): Krauszer’s, 234 Dorchester Dr., East Windsor;
• Middlesex County ($50,000): ACME #2827, 3500 Route 9 S., Old Bridge;
• Monmouth County ($50,000): 7-Eleven #11037 (N), 326 Morristown Rd., Matawan;
• Morris County ($50,000): 7-Eleven #39300, 99 Ridgedale Ave., Cedar Knolls;
• Morris County ($50,000): Quick Chek #159, 1268 Route 23, Butler;
• Morris County ($50,000): Quick Stop Food Market, 1446 Route 46 Troy Hills, Parsippany;
• Ocean County ($50,000): Manahawkin Exxon, 555 Route 72 East Ave., Manahawkin;
• Ocean County ($50,000): Quick Food Mart, 250 Route 9, Barnegat;
• Sussex County ($50,000): 7-Eleven #11472 (N), 33 Pine Cone Ln., Sparta; and
• Union County ($50,000): Jiordy Mini Market, 461-465 Spring St., Elizabeth.