On Saturday, April 25, The Gateway Family YMCA is holding a free community event to inspire more kids to keep their minds and bodies active. YMCA’s Healthy Kids Day®, the Y’s national initiative to improve health and well-being for kids and families, features activities such as games, family fitness classes and art activities to motivate and teach families how to develop a healthy routine at home.
Healthy Kids Day at The Gateway Family YMCA takes place on April 25, 12-3pm at the Elizabeth Branch , 135 Madison Avenue, Elizabeth, the Five Points Branch, 201 Tucker Avenue, Union and the Rahway Branch, 1564 Irving Street, Rahway for all ages and families. The Wellness Center Branch, 1000 Galloping Hill Road, Union will host Healthy Kids Day 6-9pm with activities specifically focused on children ages 9-14.
“The Y is so much more than sports, swimming, gymnastics and a place for kids to hang out. We support families in their efforts to instill healthy habits at home,” said Krystal R. Canady, CEO. “We know that it can sometimes feel like a challenge. So at Healthy Kids Day, we’ll encourage kids to stay physically and intellectually active all summer long, and give families tips they can easily replicate at home,” Added Melynda A. Mileski, EVP/COO.
YMCA’s Healthy Kids Day, celebrated at nearly 1,300 Ys across the country, aims to get more kids moving and learning, so they can keep up the habit all summer long – a critical out-of-school time for kids’ health. When kids are out of school, they can face hurdles – or gaps – that prevent them from reaching their full potential, related to hunger, water safety, learning, safe spaces to play, and health. Each year, the Y helps over 9 million youth nationwide “hop the gap” and achieve more, providing a safe to place to learn, stay healthy and build friendships.
In celebration of YMCA’s Healthy Kids Day, the Y offers the following tips to help families develop healthy habits:
• Try, try, repeat – There are many great tasting fruits and vegetables that many kids have never heard of, let alone tried. Grab a new fruit or vegetable and encourage everyone in the family to try at least a bite.
• Play around town – Challenge the family to play on a different playground every week. Identify playgrounds at a variety of parks; expand definitions of playgrounds to include nature trails, a nearby stream, and a bike path.
• Families at play for an hour a day – From walking to gardening, or swimming to shooting hoops, make playful movement a part of your family’s day. To get 60 minutes of moderate activity throughout your day just add 10 minutes here and 15 minutes there.
• Foster a passion for reading – Read to and with your kids. Help children read at every age and every stage of their development.
• Make sleep a priority – Doctors recommend 10-12 hours of sleep a day for children ages 5-12 and 7-8 hours per night for adults. Sleep plays a critical role in maintaining our healthy immune system, metabolism, mood, memory, learning, and other vital functions.
Healthy Kids Day takes place at The Gateway Family YMCA’s four branches in Elizabeth, Rahway and Union, featuring fun, active play and educational activities. Each branch offers a variety of different activities such as family Zumba, face painting, class demonstrations, family swimming (Five Points and Rahway), raffles, healthy snacks, giveaways and raffles. Healthy Kids Day at The Gateway Family YMCA is also supported by Jersey Family Fun, which will provide activities and giveaways at the Rahway Branch, and is supported nationally by Humana.
For more information on The Gateway Family YMCA visit www.tgfymca.org.
You May Also Be Interested In
Wed, February 28, 11:30 am Mountainside OPEN HOUSE at The Arc Kohler School for Students with Special Needs