UNION COUNTY,NJ – The Blizzard of 2016 has passed, leaving a perfect landscape for sledding.
Five Union County parks are designated for sledding:
- Briant Park (Summit)
- Echo Lake Park (the “Summer Arts Hill” near Springfield Avenue in Westfield)
- Lenape Park ( in Cranford, in areas that are not close to waterways)
- Meisel Park (Springfield, in the detention basin area)
- Unami Park (Garwood)
“We urge all our residents who wish to sled to follow these guidelines and have a safe enjoyable time in our county Parks,” Freeholder Chairman Bruce H. Bergen said.
For safety reasons, sledders should only use sledding devices that can be steered to avoid hitting trees and other obstacles. Downhill skiing is not permitted in any county parks, but skiers may cross-country ski in the following parks:
- Ash Brook Golf Course (Scotch Plains)
- Oak Ridge Golf Course (Clark)
- Watchung Reservation (Mountainside)
To skate on natural waterways in county parks, there must be at least four inches of clear ice as measured by parks officials. As yet this winter, no waterways have met that standard.
For a complete list of activities in Union County parks visit ucnj.org.