ELIZABETH, NJ - The County of Union is reporting showers and thunderstorms developing along the NY/PA border early this afternoon are expected to move into the Union County area late this afternoon and into this evening.
Authorities state that a few of these storms may become strong and/or severe. The Union County Freeholder Board reminds everyone what you can do when severe weather---such a tornado---may strike.
Please note the following:
- Stay Weather-Ready: Continue to listen to local news or a NOAA Weather Radio to stay updated about tornado watches and warnings.
- At Your House: If you are in a tornado warning, go to your basement, safe room, or an interior room away from windows. Don't forget pets if time allows.
- At Your Workplace or School: Follow your tornado drill and proceed to your tornado shelter location quickly and calmly. Stay away from windows and do not go to large open rooms such as cafeterias, gymnasiums, or auditoriums.
- Outside: Seek shelter inside a sturdy building immediately if a tornado is approaching. Sheds and storage facilities are not safe.
- In a vehicle: Being in a vehicle during a tornado is not safe. The best course of action is to drive to the closest shelter. If you are unable to make it to a safe shelter, either get down in your car and cover your head, or abandon your car and seek shelter in a low lying area such as a ditch or ravine.
For more information, please visit https://www.weather.gov/safety/tornado-during