PATERSON, NJ - A 20-year-old Fair Lawn man was charged with drug trafficking on Main Street in Paterson during an incident in which police officers were assaulted by a Paterson man, according to Passaic County Sheriff Richard H. Berdnik.

On Nov. 5, detectives from the Passaic County Sheriff’s Office Bureau of Narcotics established surveillance in the area of 1023 Main Street, Paterson after receiving tips of drug-trafficking. The detectives observed a black Nissan Altima arrive with two individuals inside and park in front of 1023 Main Street. The driver, Dean M.Kousa, 23, from Wayne, and the passenger, Adam I. Omar, 20, from Fair Lawn, remained in the vehicle with its engine idling.

Shortly after, a black Range Rover driven by Roger Gulbrandsen, 58, from Paterson arrived and was met by Omar. At this instance, the detectives witnessed a drug transaction between Omar and Gulbrandsen. Gulbrandsen departed the area at a high rate of speed followed by Detective/Sergeant Americo Escobar, Detectives Joseph Royce and Ruben Rios. 

Sign Up for E-News

Simultaneously, Detective/Commander Stephan Lantigua and Detective Jose Rosado followed the black Nissan Altima as it departed the area and conducted a motor vehicle stop at Getty Avenue and Buffalo Avenue in Paterson. Later, it was revealed Omar and Kousa were in possession of 14 cartridges containing approximately 6 grams each of suspected liquid marijuana with a combined weight of approximately 84 grams; 13 clear bags containing approximately 60 grams of marijuana, $635 which was seized as drug proceeds, police said.

Omar and Kousa were arrested and transported to headquarters for processing.

Gulbrandsen refused to stop after officers signaled for him to stop at Pennsylvania Avenue and Florida Avenue.

A motor vehicle pursuit ensued but ended on route 80 eastbound as result of heavy traffic, police said. Gulbrandsen exited Route 80 at exit 61 within Elmwood Park where he once again got stuck in traffic.

The detectives approached the Range Rover, and Gulbrandsen immediately began swinging at the detectives and striking them. The struggle ensued to the ground where Gulbrandsen continued striking the detectives while they attempted to place him under arrest.

After a brief struggle, Gulbrandsen was subdued and placed under arrest. Detectives Escobar and Royce and Gulbrandsen were taken to Saint Joseph Hospital for injuries sustained during the struggle and were later released.

Omar, charged with possession of a controlled dangerous substance, intent to distribute and possession within 1,000-feet of a public school, was remanded to Passaic County Jail.

Kousa, charged with the same as Omar, was released on his own recognizance.

Gulbrandsen was charged with three counts of aggravated assault on a police officer and two counts of resisting arrest and eluding the police. He was released on his own recognizance.