GLEN ROCK, NJ - A house on Greenway Road was saved last week due to the efforts of the Glen Rock Fire Department, although a firefighter was injured when he fell through a hole in floor.

On Oct. 2, just before 11 p.m., police and firefighters responded to a working fire at154 Greenway Road, police said. Police and the assistant fire chief forced entry to the home and confirmed that no one was inside. The house was undergoing renovations and was vacant at the time of the fire. 

While trying to extinguish the fire, a firefighter fell through a hole in the floor in the area of the fire, landing in the basement of the residence, police said. 

Sign Up for Fair Lawn/Glen Rock Newsletter
Our newsletter delivers the local news that you can trust.

"Rescue operations commenced immediately, and the firefighter was removed from the structure and transported to Valley Hospital for evaluation," police said. "He was subsequently treated and released."

The Glen Rock Fire Department, assisted by firefighters from Ridgewood, Hawthorne, Fair Lawn, Midland Park and Paramus, were able to quickly bring the fire under control and save the house. Support was provided by the Glen Rock Ambulance Corp and PSE&G.

"The cause of the fire was determined to be accidental due to construction being done on the home," police said.