PARAMUS, NJ - Stew Leonard’s will host a job fair from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. on July 13 to fill positions at its soon-to-be-opened store at Paramus Park Mall.
Altogether, the company will hire 400 full-time and part-time employees to work at its first-ever Garden State location, which is set to open this fall.
According to the grocery chain, there will be “opportunities in every department, from entry level to team leaders and above.” And while “experience is not always necessary” for some roles, “a great attitude and willingness to learn and grow is essential,” the company said.
Just a few of the open jobs include:
- Fish Cutter: cuts whole fish into steaks, filets, and other quality products according to standards and customer preference. Requires 1 to 3 years’ experience, with extensive product knowledge and ability to safely use and operate knives, scaler, mallet, and steel to sharpen knives.
- Costumed Character: wears the Wow the Cow costume and provides entertainment to customers and their children while they shop. Attend special events, as required (Halloween Trick-or-Treating, Easter Egg Hunt, Christmas Tree lighting, and birthday parties) and provide high fives and photo opportunities, at the request of the child(ren). Entry level position; no prior experience required.
- Cake Decorator: with an attention for detail, cake decorators decorate cakes, cupcakes and other desserts according to standards and customer preferences. Entry level position; no prior experience required but preferred.
- Deli Clerk: interact directly with customers at the service bars and aid by answering specific product questions, offering recommendations, packaging and pricing products ordered by customers at the service bar. Entry level position; no prior experience required.
What to know about the job fair
- It will run from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. at Paramus Park Mall, 700 Paramus Park, Paramus, NJ
- The hiring center is located inside of the mall, directly across from T-Mobile and near Panera Bread.
- Interested candidates who are 18 and older should fill out an application at stewleonards.com/work-at-stews
- The first 100 job fair attendees will get an on-the-spot interview if they have completed the online application.
Dubbed as “the Disneyland of Dairy Stores” by the New York Times, the 80,000-square foot supermarket will feature farm fresh food and interactive animatronic characters that perform shows to entertain shoppers.
The supermarket, which will take the place of the mall’s anchor spot previously held by the now-shuttered Sears, is expected to bring 400 jobs to the area and give locals a fun, festive and fresh shopping experience.
The family-owned grocery chain began in 1969 as a small dairy store with seven employees. It has since expanded to six locations in Connecticut and New York, employing more than 2,200 people. It also licenses its name to nine wine shops, including locations in Paramus, Clifton and Springfield.
There are plans to move Stew Leonard’s Wines & Spirits of Paramus, currently located on Route 17, to the interior of the new store, making it the chains first supermarket to sell both food and wine.
Stew Leonard’s, which regularly ranks as one of Fortune Magazine’s best places to work, also offers ongoing training classes and programs in leadership and development. According to the company, more than 80% of its leadership team has been promoted from within.
Employee perks include 401(k) savings and retirement plans, paid family and personal time, profit sharing, appreciation picnics and lunches and a scholarship program.