GLEN ROCK, NJ - The Glen Rock Kiddie Pool reopened this afternoon after a "loose accident" on Saturday required the pool be disinfected.

"After waiting the appropriate amount of time and deep cleaning, we were able to open at 1 p.m. today," Recreation Director Katie Frey said. 

Mayor Bruce Packer got the word out quickly on Saturday after the unsanitary condition occurred. "On Saturday Evening, the kiddie pool was closed down due to a loose accident," he said in an email release to the press. "Bathing codes dictate how long we must stay closed and treat the water. Hard accidents can be treated in 30-120 minutes, but in cases like today, we need to treat for a minimum of 12.75 hours. In addition to treating the water, we will need to do a deep clean of the kiddie pool and scrub the affected areas. We test the water every two hours daily to make sure our water levels are safe and may be able to open at some point during the day on Sunday but cannot guarantee it. Staying closed on Sunday, July 14, and cleaning is an inconvenience to the public but it is for your safety in preventing the contraction of recreational water illnesses. We thank you for your understanding." 

Sign Up for Fair Lawn/Glen Rock Newsletter
Our newsletter delivers the local news that you can trust.

Fact Sheet on Crypto

Per the attached Fact Sheet:

"Crypto is one of the most common causes of recreational water illness (disease caused by germs spread through pool water) in the United States and can cause prolonged diarrhea (for 1–2 weeks).

It can make anyone sick, but certain groups of people are more likely to become seriously ill when infected with Crypto:

  • Young children
  • Pregnant women
  • Individuals with weakened immune systems

How is Crypto spread in pools? Crypto is spread by swallowing water that has been contaminated with fecal matter containing Crypto. You share the water—and the germs in it—with every person who enters the pool. If one person infected with Crypto has diarrhea in the water, the water can be contaminated with tens or hundreds of millions of germs.

Swallowing even a small amount of pool water that has been contaminated with the Crypto germ can make you sick.

Crypto can also be spread by swallowing contaminated water from water parks, interactive fountains, water play areas, hot tubs, lakes, rivers, springs, ponds, streams, and oceans."