FLEMINGTON, NJ - Research has shown 70 percent of teens start prescription misuse in home medicine cabinets, according to Lesley Gabel, co-CEO of Prevention Resources and the Project Director for Safe Communities Coalition.
And with four out of five new heroin users started out misusing prescription painkillers, it’s critical to get unused and expired medications disposed properly, she said.
That’s why Gabel supports the Hunterdon and Somerset Safe Medicine Disposal Event, part of national DEA Take-Back Day, to be held Saturday, Oct. 28 from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.
“Our counties have unfortunately bared witness to a number of fatal overdoses this year, much of which stemmed from medicine misuse leading to heroin,” said Hunterdon County Prosecutor Anthony P. Kearns, III. “These are our friends, neighbors, and children. We need to take every opportunity and precaution to ensure their safety, starting with regularly cleaning out our medicine cabinets.”
“Prescription opioids are among the most commonly misused drugs, and flushing them can be dangerous to both our community and wildlife,” said Somerset County Sheriff Frank Provenzano. “This event provides a terrific opportunity for local citizens to help us take drugs off the street.”
Everyone can participate in the upcoming safe disposal event by cleaning out their medicine cabinet.
Participating locations, Hunterdon County:
- Hunterdon County Justice Center, 65 Park Avenue, Flemington 08822
- Flemington Police Department, 100 Main St. Flemington 08822
- Clinton Township Police Department, 1370 Rt. 31 North, Annandale 08801
- High Bridge Police Department, 99 West Main St. High Bridge 08829
- Holland Township Police Department, 61 Church Rd. (back of building), Milford 08848
- Readington Township Police Department, 507 Rt. 523, Whitehouse Station 08889
- Somerset County Sheriff’s Office, 1 Brady Road, Warren 07059
- Bernards Township Police Department, 1 Collyer La., Basking Ridge 07920
- Bound Brook Police Department, 226 Hamilton St., Bound Brook 08805
- Bridgewater Township Police Department, 590 Old York Rd. at Rt. 202 North, Branchburg 08876
- Far Hills Police Department, 6 Prospect St., Far Hills, 07931
- Franklin Township Police Department, 495 Demott La., Somerset 08873
- Hillsborough Township Police Department, 379 S. Branch Rd., Hillsborough 08844
- Manville Police Department, 2 North Main St., Manville 08835
- Montgomery Police Department, 2261 Rt. 206, Belle Mead 08502
- North Plainfield Police Department, 263 Somerset St., North Plainfield 07060
- Peapack Police Department, 1 School St., Peapack 07977
- Raritan Borough Police Department, 20 First St., Raritan 08869
- Somerville Police Department, 24 South Bridge S.t ,Somerville 08876
- South Bound Brook Police Department, 12 Main St. South Bound Brook 08880
- Warren Township Police Department, 44 Mountains Blvd., Warren 07059
- Watchung Police Department, 840 Somerset St. Watchung 07069
Liquids and syringes are not accepted at these locations. Please remove any identifying information from medicine containers.
If you can’t make it on the event date, drop off medicines at one of your local permanent Medicine Drop Box Locations. To find one near you, visit www.safecoalition.org.
Prevention Resources supports the health and wellness of its communities. For more information, call 908-782-3909, or visit www.njprevent.com.