Welcome to the Movie Gurus column! Kevin Gootee and Kevin Israel are two New Jersey based stand-up comedians who also host the hugely successful, Gutting the Sacred Cow Podcast. Each week this colum will take a look at movie topics like – our favorite movie quotes and how to use them, Top Ten Lists, movie news, and more!
You can check out the Gutting the Sacred Cow podcast HERE. Each episode we invite a guest to argue why they think a successful, popular, or critically acclaimed movie is actually garbage. It’s fun and unique take on the movie review genre!
Top 10 Guilty Pleasure Films
Kevin Gootee’s List
- Deep Blue Sea- LL Cool J fights CGI sharks and Tony Soprano’s sister dies in the first act? Sign me up.
- Bloodsport - JCVD in the Kumite? Plus Ogre from Revenge of the Nerds? AND a ton of quotable moments??!
- Big Trouble in Little China-Kurt Russell in his best role ever. Period. Stop. No discussions will be entertained.
- All of the Jackass films. Even the deleted scenes movies, Jackass 1.5, Jacksass 2.5, Jackass 3.5. ALL of them are hysterical and have insane rewatch-ability. These are American classics and should be treated as such.
- Commando - Arnold blows everything up for 40 out of 90 minutes with an INSANE number of quotes. This is a top 5 Arnold film for me, and it should be for you.
- Police Academy 4 - The BEST Blue Oyster bar scene, one of the Fat Boys, and Lt. Callahan….need we say more? The BEST one of the lot.
- Nightmare on Elm St 3- Right before the franchise takes a slight dip and right after an awful sequel, this one proves to be the 2nd only to the original.
- Draft Day- Kevin Costner is the GM of the Cleveland Browns and you know this is fiction because the Browns make good deals.
- Little Big League- Jason Robards is owner of the Minnesota Twins and when he dies, names his 12-year-old grandkid the manager of the club. Best kid baseball film ever.
- Last Action Hero- I’ll die on the hill for this one. This film was ahead of the curve by YEARS. It’s tongue in cheek/satirical for all the Arnold or action films and I cannot believe this was dumped on by people. Shame on you dummies, this film is rock solid.
Kevin Israel’s List
- Pitch Perfect – Yeah, I like college kids singing. What of it?
- Armageddon – I’m such a sucker for this movie. It actually plays out like two separate movies and I love them both!
- All Toho Godzilla movies – I don’t care that it looks like a guy in a lizard suit, I’ll watch ‘Zilla stomp model building and toy tanks all day long.
- Fast and The Furious – all of them. I don’t have friends, I have family. And I don’t have friends because they are sick of me telling them how I live my life a quarter mile at a time.
- Notting Hill – This stupid movie gets me every time. Maybe it gave me a sliver of hope that I could bump into Scarlet Johansson, and she’d fall in love with me. Yeah, I’m looking at you Colin Jost!
- Ghostbusters 2 – The original is my favorite movie of all time, and while the sequel falls far short, I’ll still take any chance I can get to watch the boys in grey battle some ghouls.
- Independence Day – yeah, it’s ridiculous, and over the top, and campy and I love it! You’d all be DEAD if it wasn’t for my David!
- Over the Top – Maybe Sly’s worst outing but c’mon, when he turns his hat around, it’s like a switch!
- John Carter – This movie got a bad rap. Go back, watch it with an open mind, it’s actually not bad.
- Batman v. Superman – So many problems with this movie, but I love Ben as Bats and Cavill as Supes was such great casting. I can overlook a lot of the wrong in this one