TAPinto recently received a “green” rating from NewsGuard, a startup that has created a credibility ratings system and “nutrition labels” for online news. A green rating, the highest rating provided to online news sites, indicates that a news site satisfies all nine of NewsGuard’s criteria.
“Readers should have confidence that what they are reading online represents well-reported, independent and objective news,” said TAPinto CEO and Publisher Mike Shapiro. “NewsGuard’s rating system not only gives readers the tools they need to quickly and critically evaluate the quality of the news they are reading, but also ensures that publishers are doing more to communicate that the journalism they put out is high-quality and trustworthy.”
TAPinto is constantly evaluating existing policies and putting into place important standards to ensure that all published news across its 82 sites is reliable, objective and high-quality.
“The TAPinto model is different than anything out there. All of TAPinto’s sites are locally-owned and operated,” said Shapiro. “Because our model is so unique, we take special care to put trust and objectivity at the center of what we do at TAPinto,” continued Shapiro.
NewsGuard evaluates news sites on the following criteria:
- Gathers and presents information responsibly.
- Regularly corrects and clarifies errors.
- Handles the difference between news and opinion responsibly.
- Avoids deceptive headlines.
- Website discloses ownership and financing.
- Clearly labels advertising.
- Reveals who’s in charge, including any possible conflicts of interest.
- The site provides the names of content creators, along with either contact information or biographical information.