SOMERSET, NJ - Today's storm is expected to dump five to eight inches of snow, and last through the morning.
Area authorities anticipate hazardous driving conditions during overnight hours. Delayed openings and closings have already been announced, and more are expected. Keep checking TAPinto Franklin Township for storm updates.
Below is a list of March 3-4 updates:
In the schools
- Franklin Township Public Schools will be closed
- Central Jersey College Prep will be closed
- St. Matthias School will be closed
- Quail Brook Senior Center will be closed
- Municipal building will open at 10 am.
Follow these guidelines to stay safe, healthy and warm:
- Try to stay indoors when weather is extremely cold, especially if winds are high.
- If you must go outdoors, make trips outside as brief as possible.
- Dress in layers of warm clothing if you plan to be outdoors.
- Protect your head, neck, hands and feet from the cold by wearing a hat, scarf, gloves and socks.
- Offer to help people in your neighborhood who may have limited access to heat.
- Check frequently on older adults and people who are ill.
- During peak cold times, visit indoor public facilities such as shopping malls, libraries or senior centers, if you don't have enough heat in your home. Be sure to check that they are open before venturing outdoors.
- Do not leave pets outside.
- If you use an outdoor generator at home, place it at least 10 feet away from all doors and windows to avoid exhaust gases entering the home.
- Stoves, barbecues and ovens can produce carbon monoxide gas, which can be deadly when used to heat a home. Never use these appliances in place of approved heaters such as electric, natural gas or fireplaces.
- Children, the elderly and people with disabilities or special medical needs are especially vulnerable during cold snaps. Extra precaution should be taken to ensure they don't get too cold.
- Install a carbon monoxide detector in your home to reduce the risk of poisoning. Symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning include shortness of breath, headache, nausea, and muscle and joint pain. Exposure to high levels of carbon monoxide could lead to death within minutes. If you suspect carbon monoxide poisoning, take immediate action: call the New Jersey Poison Control Center at 1-800-222-1222 for immediate treatment advice. Those suffering from carbon monoxide poisoning should be immediately taken outside into the fresh air. It’s important that they be taken to an emergency room for immediate medical treatment.
REPORTING POWER OUTAGES:
Editor's note: This article will be updated when/if new closures are announced.
Have a news tip, or feedback? Email FranklinTownship@tapinto.net or call our tip line 908-279-0303 ext. 257.