FRANKLIN TOWNSHIP, NJ - The Franklin Township Police Department responded to a 9-1-1 call reporting a fire on Highland Avenue at 3 a.m. Tuesday morning, according to a news release. When officers arrived they saw heavy smoke coming from the garage of the Highland Avenue home, according to police.

Police say all of the residents of the home evacuated after smelling smoke and hearing the smoke detectors going off. 

Firefighters from Franklin Township responded to the scene and put out the fire, according to police. Utilities to the home were turned off by officials from PSE&G, and inspectors from the Franklin Township Office of Fire Prevention conducted an investigation. 

Sign Up for E-News

"The initial investigation revealed that the fire was not suspicious and was electrical in nature," Lt. Phil Rizzo said in a statement. "No one was injured as a result of the incident."

According to police, the residents will stay with family in the area. 

Related information:

Joint Fire Chief & Commissioner Meeting

Franklin Township: Santa Clause is Coming to Town

Electrical Fire Safety from the U.S. Fire Administration 

Follow these electrical safety tips to help keep your home fire-safe.

Appliances 

  • Always plug major appliances, like refrigerators, stoves, washers and dryers, directly into a wall outlet. 
  • Never use an extension cord with a major appliance — it can easily overheat and start a fire. 
  • Always plug small appliances directly into a wall outlet. 
  • Unplug small appliances when you are not using them. 
  • Keep lamps, light fixtures and light bulbs away from anything that can burn. 
  • Use light bulbs that match the recommended wattage on the lamp or fixture. 
  • Check electrical cords on appliances often. Replace cracked, damaged and loose electrical cords. Do not try to repair them.

Outlets 

  • Do not overload wall outlets. 
  • Insert plugs fully into sockets. 
  • Never force a three-prong cord into a two-slot outlet. 
  • Install tamper-resistant electrical outlets if you have young children.

Extension Cords, Power Strips and Surge Protectors 

  • Replace worn, old or damaged extension cords right away. 
  • Use extension cords for temporary purposes only. 
  • Avoid putting cords where they can be damaged or pinched, like under a carpet or rug. 
  • Do not overload power strips. 
  • Use power strips that have internal overload protection.

Make sure all electrical work in your home is done by a qualified electrician! For more information and free resources, visit www.usfa.fema.gov/prevention/outreach

TAPinto Franklin Township is independently owned and operated by  Malik A. Lyons FHS Class of 93’ Graduate. 

Sign Up for E-News to get top stories delivered daily to your inbox. 

Download the FREE TAPinto App!  Click here for Android - Click here for iOS to get news as it is happening.

Like our FaceBook Page!  and follow us on Twitter