SOMERSET, NJ - On a day when forecasters are predicting temperatures in the mid-90s and a heat index even higher, the township has opened two cooling centers for people to escape the heat.
The Township Library and Community Senior Center located at the municipal complex will be open today. The community center stays open until 4:30 pm and the library is open until 9 pm.
The National Weather Service predicts the temperature will reach 95, and the heat index will make it feel closer to 100.
A heat advisory was issued until 8 p.m. today.
Schools in New Brunswick and Edison have reported early dismissals due to the heat.
The Franklin Police Department Office of Emergency Management wants to remind residents to take proper precautions during this time.
* limit outdoor activities, especially during the hottest times of the day
* drink plenty of water
* check on family and friends, especially the elderly
* check on your pets and ensure they have water available
When outdoors -
* Wear light-colored clothing and a hat
* Use sunscreen
* minimize exposure to direct sunlight
* take frequent breaks
Have a news tip? Email FranklinTownship@tapinto.net or call our tip line 908-279-0303 ext. 257.