January 8, 2017 at 9:26 PM
FRANKLIN TOWNSHIP, NJ - Snow could not keep away more than 1,000 people from gathering at Franklin High School Saturday for “Franklin’s Finest,” a Franklin Township public school curriculum expo and district showcase. Current and potential Franklin Township school district parents and students had the opportunity to speak with various staff members and volunteers from the school system.
“The highlight of the day for me was definitely the district showcase, featuring students of all ages in the performing arts program. We have so many talented students and staff here in this district and it is great to see a thriving arts program when so many districts are having to cut programs in this area,” school district parent Amy Rice said. “Both of my children are involved in the performing arts on stage and in a band, and the confidence they have gained is incredible.”
During the first half of "Franklin’s Finest," attendees had the opportunity to learn more about the progress of the One Less Move Referendum from Superintendent Dr. John A. Ravally and others, and to speak to representatives from various school clubs and activities. The day concluded with everyone gathering in the gym for the district showcase featuring many of the visual and performing art organizations with students of all ages.
Upon entry to Franklin’s Finest “Events Lobby,” parents and students were provided information about various school support organizations and Teachers Associations. They got to hear about Franklin’s curriculum for grades K-12. There were also demonstrations by students so attendees could see what is being learned in the classroom. Franklin’s Recreation Department and the Alliance for the Prevention of Substance Abuse was available to provide and gather information to help raise the awareness of substance abuse.
In the “Events Lobby,” attendees were also treated to an art gallery, robotics demonstration, and live music from members of the Franklin High School orchestra. Parents also had the opportunity to speak to content area supervisors and other district staff about subjects from career and technical education to world languages at an area called curriculum circle.
Informational sessions were also conducted, and topics ranging from what is reciprocal teaching, how can I prepare my child for PARCC Assessment, to what is new in the Gifted and Talented program, and many subjects in between.
The following people spoke, and acts performed during the District Showcase:
- Mistress of Ceremonies: Terri Seggio
- Cheer Presentation: The Sparkle Effect cheerleaders
- Elementary School Procession
- Presentation of Colors: The Franklin High School JROTC Color Guard and Drill Team
- National Anthem: Sydney Wade and the Franklin High School Marching Band
- Drill Team Performance: Franklin High School JROTC
- Introduction: William Grippo
- Remarks: Dr. John A. Ravally
- The cast of “Dear America” from Franklin Middle School
- Hillcrest School Dance Troupe
- Franklin High School Band: “All of the Lights”
- Franklin High School Drama: “Check Please Take 2”
- MacAfee Road School Dance Troupe
- Sampson G. Smith School: The cast of Peter Pan
- Franklin Park School Dance Troupe
- Franklin High School Dance program
- Franklin High School Madrigals
“Let there be peace on earth” was performed by everyone in attendance for the grand finale, to learn more about the day's events please click link below, go to TAPinto's Facebook Page to see more photos later today.
Did you like this story?
Give us your feedback at firstname.lastname@example.org.