FRANKLIN TOWNSHIP, NJ - In response to parent phone calls and social media discussions, Mary L. Clark, a spokesperson for Franklin Township Public Schools sent out a statement describing the thought process involved in handling a threat made against Franklin High School, by a 14-year-old student. 

After the police investigation deemed the threat made against the high school was not credible, the decision was made not to alert the parents right away, according to Clark. 

"The outcome of the investigation was that the threat was deemed not credible and that there was no imminent danger," Clark said in the statement. "As such, we did not send a message to parents and guardians at that time.  We did share the information later that morning so that parents/guardians were aware of the situation and how it had been resolved.  We responded to the circumstances as they presented."

Sign Up for E-News

Clark went on to say if the investigation did reveal a credible threat the district's "response and the timing of our notification to parents would have been aligned to those circumstances."

An Instagram post of a possible different threat was sent to TAPinto Franklin Township, by a parent who wished to remain anonymous. 

The Instagram post warns students not to attend Franklin High School on Saturday, Feb. 24, because a student publicly announced he will shoot the school up. The post also names the student who made the claim. 

The screenshot was also sent to school officials but due to student confidentiality, they could not comment the image.

Last February a threat made to a Franklin High School administrator on a social media website was deemed not credible. 

Original article:

A 14-year-old male student has been taken into custody and charged with making terroristic threats against Franklin High School, according to police. 

He was removed from school after making threats on social media, according to an alert from the school district sent to parents at approximately 9:57 a.m. this morning. 

"Working with the Franklin Township Police Department we were able to determine in a short time that our schools were in no imminent danger," Dr. John Ravally said in the message sent to parents... "I want to reassure everyone that we as a district continue to make safety a priority."

Schools throughout the nation are all on high alert, due to the recent event that occurred in Parkland, Florida on Wednesday. According to published reports police in neighboring South Brunswick have stepped up their presence in schools, and will continue do so in the coming weeks. 

TAPinto Nutley reported a district-wide closure which occurred today due to a threat received by the district last night. 

"We are fortunate to have a strong relationship with the Franklin Township Police Department and by working closely with them, we as a district are able to put measures in place to best secure our schools," Ravally said. "If you have any questions or concerns please do not hesitate to contact the Director of School Management, Mr. Wilson or me directly.”

The student was released to his parents, according to police. Making terroristic threats is a third-degree crime. The school targeted with the threat has also not been identified.

How to Talk with Kids About the Florida Shooting

Visit and read your exclusive Franklin news at TAPinto Franklin Township  24/7 for FREE: TAPintoFranklinTownship.net.