SOMERVILLE, NJ – Live music will be performed at several venues Thursday, June 21 throughout Somerville as the borough hosts “Make Music Somerville.”
Make Music Somerville is part of Make Music Day, a global music celebration that takes place on the summer solstice each year and brings people of all ages and skill levels together to make music.
Highlights of Make Music Somerville 2018 will include:
- Intro to Harmonica and Intro to Ukulele Events on Division Street near Main Street;
- Concert by the Second Story Band on the Somerville Borough Hall Lawn, 25 West End Ave.;
- Sound Studio - Recording the Sounds of Somerville Event on Division Street near Division Street Music;
- Performances by singer/songwriters Diane Semmling and Sharleen Leahey at the Somerville Public Library, 35 West End Ave,;
- Performance of the Somerville Ukulele Experience with members of the Somerville Senior Citizens Housing Singers on the Somerville Borough Hall Lawn, 25 West End Ave,
- T.O.M.B. performing hits from the 60’s to the 90’s on Division Street near Division Street Music
From classical to folk, hip hop to opera, Latin jazz to punk rock, live music of all kinds resounds on streets, sidewalks, porches, plazas, parks, gardens, store fronts and other public spaces on the longest day of the year.
Any musician, amateur or professional, young or old, is invited to take part by signing up at http://www.makemusicday.org/somerville/; registration closes on June 18, 2018. Likewise, businesses, buildings, schools, churches, and other institutions can visit the website to offer their outdoor spaces as concert locations.
This year, 36 U.S. cities and the entire state of Vermont will host thousands of Make Music performances across the country as part of the world’s largest annual music event.
Make Music Day began in France in 1982 as the Fête de la Musique, and has spread to over 700 cities across 120 countries. Completely different from a typical musical festival, Make Music concerts are performed by anyone who wants to take part and enjoyed by everyone who wants to attend.
A full schedule of events will be posted at http://www.makemusicday.org/somerville/ from now through June 21st.
About The Coffeehouse Project Inc.
The Coffeehouse Project Inc. is a 501(c)(3) community music nonprofit based in Somerville, NJ. The Coffeehouse Project is dedicated to the idea that participatory music making can make a tremendous positive difference in people’s lives and in communities. With a focus on inclusiveness, commitment and shared outcomes, The Coffeehouse Project creates opportunities for diverse individuals to come together to share the experience of making music. For more information, please visit www.thecoffeehouseprojectnj.org.