NEW BRUNSWICK, NJ - City officials say no one was injured in a kitchen fire, ignited in an apartment at The Aspire, 135 Somerset St., on February 22. 

The emergency call came in at 3:05 p.m., with firefighters arriving on the scene within three minutes. The fire, on the eleventh floor of the luxury building, was quickly knocked down and firefighters were able to clear the scene by 5 p.m., said city spokesperson Jennifer Bradshaw.

Firefighters believe the fire was caused by a cooking accident. The building sprinkler system activated and helped extinguish the flames. 

Sign Up for E-News

While there were fortunately no injuries, the apartment sustained water damage.

A second alarm was called because the blaze was in a 17-story high rise, with support coming from Edison, Sayreville, East Franklin, North Brunswick and East Brunswick fire departments.

The Aspire, built by Boraie Development in New Brunswick, opened in 2015. It is steps from the New Brunswick Train Station and across the street from the Robert Wood Johnson University Hospital, Rutgers Medical School and the Rutgers University campus.

It includes 238 studio, one-bedroom and two-bedroom apartments.

Download the FREE TAPinto App!  Click here for Android - Click here for iOS to get news as it is happening.