SOUTH BRUNSWICK, NJ – Several pets and family members escaped a two-alarm fire Sunday that heavily damaged a Glenn Court home in Monmouth Junction, police said.

According to police, residents of the home called 911 after smelling smoke in the living room and seeing thick smoke coming from the chimney around 4:15 p.m. Sunday afternoon.

The Monmouth Junction Fire Department arrived and found the fire had spread up the chimney into the attic and roof of the residence, police said.

Sign Up for E-News

Family members were able to get the pet dog out, but told firefighters that four cats and a bird were still in the home.

Firefighters then entered the smoke filled home and successfully got all the animals out, police said.

Firefighters were able to bring the fire under control within 30 minutes and remained at the scene until approximately 6:30 p.m., checking for hot spots, police said.

According to police, the home is uninhabitable and the residents will be staying with family members.

Firefighters from Monmouth Junction, Kingston, Kendall Park, Plainsboro, North Brunswick, Cranbury, and Jamesburg responded to the scene.

Additionally, firefighters from the Franklin Park and Community Fire Companies covered South Brunswick during the fire.

South Brunswick Police, South Brunswick EMS, Monmouth Junction First Aid Squad, and Kendall Park EMS also responded, police said.

There were no injuries to residents or firefighters

Police said the fire does not appear suspicious and remains under investigation by the South Brunswick Township Fire Safety Bureau.

Did you like this story?

Give us your feedback at ckim@tapinto.net or nwells@tapinto.net and click here to support local news.

If you did like it, please share with your friends and followers on Facebook and Twitter, and don't forget to "Like" our Facebook Page!