Update on Summer Outreach efforts.
The numerous outdoor events that have taken place locally this Spring and Summer have provided us with excellent opportunities for expanding our public outreach efforts. By “tabling” at these public gatherings, we have been able to:
- Increase public awareness about the issues related to proposed Compressor Station 206 and the Northeast Supply Enhancement project (NESE) in its entirety.
- Distribute literature about the project and what actions individuals and groups can take i n order to oppose it, and answer questions people have about NESE
- Enable those interested to submit motions to intervene with the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission (FERC)
- Assist individuals in submitting letters to the New Jersey Department of Environmental Protection (NJDEP) requesting public hearings regarding the air and water permits that Williams/Transco has applied to that agency for
Events we have “tabled” at include such diverse venues as outdoor concerts, farmers’ markets, township-sponsored recreational events, community day gatherings, Independence Day celebrations, group picnics, and nature walks, to name a few. The majority of these gatherings have been in South Brunswick and Franklin Township, but we have traveled further afield to Keyport for a forum about the impacts about the proposed Raritan Bay extension which is part of NESE, and to the Sourland Mountains Music Festival which was held in Hillsborough.
Upcoming events include many Community Day celebrations, recreational events, and various festivals. To date, we plan to have representatives participating in:
- Week of the People Back-to-School Event Saturday, August 26th from 2:00 pm to 7:00 pm at Naaman Williams Park, 1 Matilda Ave., Somerset
- Old Bridge Day, Saturday, September 9th from 12 noon to 5:00 pm at the Old Bridge Municipal Complex, corner of Rt. 518 and Cottrell Road, Old Bridge
- Canal Road Walk and Roll, Sunday, September 17th, from 10:00 am to 4:00 pm, at Canal Road between East Millstone and Butler Roads, Franklin Township
- Sayreville Day, Sunday, September 17th, from 12 noon to 4:00 pm, at Kennedy Park
- Franklin Day Festival and Art Exhibit, Saturday, September 23rd from 12 noon to 5:00 pm, at Colonial Park, Parking Lot C, Somerset
For more information about these events and to see up-to-the-minute additions to this list, please click on the link below. If there is information listed in the “Lead Person” column of the spreadsheet, you will know that we have made arrangements to be at that particular event.
Volunteers are always welcome! Please email Carol Kuehn at firstname.lastname@example.org, if you wish to sign up to volunteer, or if you have any questions. Thank you for your interest!
Summer Outreach Venues