FRANKLIN TOWNSHIP, NJ - Central Jersey College Prep Charter School recently posted the lottery results on their website, www.cjcollegeprep.org.
Parents and prospective students huddled into the Central Jersey College Prep Charter School's auditorium Tuesday for their 2017-2018 enrollment lottery.
The school received 1,182 applications and only 122 slots were available for the 2017-2018 school year. Kindergarten through 3rd and 6th were the only grades with available slots, due to the number of students that currently attend the school and their anticipated advancement to the next grade.
Kindergarten and 6th grade had 72 slots each available, while 1st and 2nd had 24 apiece. However, out of those seats 63 would go to siblings of students who currently attend the school.
"Thanks to the department of education for approving our petition to expand," Central Jersey College Prep Principal Dr. Namik Sercan said.
Central Jersey College Prep Charter School currently enrolls 480 students in grades K-2, 6-12, and with the expansion will increase their enrollment to 1,320 serving students from K-12. The school serves students from students from Franklin, North Brunswick, and New Brunswick.
CJCP hired local Notary Public Daniel J. Cook to observe the lottery process to ensure the same names that were entered are the same names picked.
According to the New Jersey Department of Education's website charter schools must adhere to the following guidelines for a lottery:
- A charter school first establishes an initial recruitment period and an application deadline. If at the end of this period, the total applicants exceed the spaces available, a lottery is conducted. Enrollment is not on a first-come, first-served basis.
- A waiting list is valid for one school year only
- Schools arrange their wait list by lottery results and maintain a current wait list in the main office
- Lottery date is announced publicly 2+ months in advance
- Lottery date is announced through 3+ public avenues (e.g. local newspapers, community flyers, bulletins, school website) in all applicable languages
- Lottery is held publicly soon after application deadline
- Lottery is conducted for every space available in any grade during the enrollment period
- Parents/guardians who have applied are notified of lottery date via email and/or phone 2+ weeks in advance
This year CJCP opted to have a manual lottery instead of an automated lottery, and the results will be shown on their site this week http://www.cjcollegeprep.org/.
Did you like this story?
Give us your feedback at email@example.com.