NEW BRUNSWICK, NJ - An Edison man was found guilty by a jury on Wednesday for the murder of a 23-year-old New Brunswick man who was fatally shot in the city.

Christopher “C-Dub” Thompson, 28, was found guilty of the murder of Larenz Tyrone Joel O’Garro of New Brunswick on October 26, 2018, said Middlesex County Acting Prosecutor Christopher L.C. Kuberiet.

Thompson was also found guilty of the attempted murder of another man, unlawful possession of a handgun, possession of a handgun for an unlawful purpose, and hindering his own apprehension. He was found not guilty of tampering with evidence.

Sign Up for Franklin Township Newsletter
Our newsletter delivers the local news that you can trust.

In a separate trial, Thompson was found guilty of being a certain person not to be in possession of a handgun due to a prior conviction. 

During a trial that began on January 9, 2020, Middlesex County Assistant Prosecutor Bina Desai and Middlesex County Assistant Deanna Himelson presented evidence and testimony showing that Thompson fatally shot O’Garro shortly after a related aggravated assault by Eric “E-Z” Inman who was separately charged and has pleaded guilty. 

Thompson fled after the shooting leading to an extensive search which included the coordinated efforts of the U.S. Marshals Service, the Middlesex County Prosecutor’s Office and the New Brunswick Police Department. He was finally apprehended in Lithonia, Georgia by members of the U.S. Marshals on November 15, 2018.

He is facing a prison term of 30 years to life for the murder of O’Garro when he is sentenced in New Brunswick on March 27 by Superior Court Judge Thomas Buck. This term is subject to the No Early Release Act; however, he must serve a minimum of 30 years in prison before he is eligible for parole. Thompson also faces up to 20 years in prison for the attempted murder of another man.

In addition, he faces a prison term of up to 10 years for being a certain person not to possess a handgun.  

Thompson and Inman were charged after an investigation by Detective Kenneth Abode of the New Brunswick Police Department and Detective David Abromaitis of the Middlesex County Prosecutor’s Office.